1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop seems to have died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pollenbird, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pollenbird

pollenbird Thread Starter

My girlfriend has a Panasonic Toughbook CF71, whilst using it last night the screen just went black & seemed to be shut down apart from some lights, power & a couple of others... I will try & explain if need be.

It would not start up & was making no running noise, we took the battery out so that it had no power, put it back in to start up again, flicked the power switch but nothing happened apart from the initial bleep & these 3 lights coming on, the HD didn’t sound like it was spinning up, a totally black screen.

Can anybody help, she has her Phd thesis on it!!!!!

2. Lightning

Lightning Guest

She stored one of the most important documents of her life on a computer without making a backup? :rolleyes:

Take the computer to a repair shop. Before doing that, pull the hard drive out, buy an external 2.5" hard drive case or an internal adapter, and connect it up to another computer to see if you can recover the data.

If you take it to be repaired before trying to pull the data off yourself, they could erase everything and have no liability.

Buy her a CD burner for her birthday.

3. pollenbird

Thanks for thst.

It is kind of backed up, or so I’m told but I bet there are bits missing off of the CD.

by the sound of it, do you think it probably is the HD?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Could be the cpu, the motherboard or the drive. It's hard to diagnose at this point. Have you tried starting it without the battery, just with the power adapter?

5. pollenbird

Tried starting with no battery in but nothing, the lights come on but you don’t even hear the HD spinning up but in my experience with macs, an HD doesn’t die whilst it is being used its normally in the start up, the lap top just seemed to power down!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, unless you have the experience to rip it apart, it's probably time to take it to a shop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice