1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop shows dual monitors, but I only have one. ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Thomas23, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thomas23

Thomas23 Thread Starter

I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop. It had Windows ME when I got it. I noticed when I first turned it on, the display properties showed that there were 2 monitors when really there's only one (the LCD screen). And the desktop is larger than my laptop screen, so I have to place the mouse on the edges of the screen to get to the rest of the desktop. I figured once I wiped it and installed XP it would go away, but it isn't. I don't see anything in the BIOS either, the BIOS is pretty limited. Has anyone seen this before?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most laptops have a dual monitor graphics adapter, the two screen setup is very normal. It is for using an external monitor.

If your screen is displaying in "pan" mode where the display overlaps the actual screen, you have set the resolution too high.

You should always use only the "native resolution" on an LCD screen.

3. Thomas23

Thomas23 Thread Starter

So I can't set my resolution to 1024x768 then? I was able to finally get it to normal screen size in 800x600, but I wish I could set it to a higher resolution without that pan mode.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That laptop is only capable of 800 x 600, it was the best available at that time, the laptop is getting on.

It only has 800 x 600 pixels in the screen, trying to make it display more is pointless, you only get a window of 800 x 600 that pans.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/361780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice