Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop shuts down ocassionally

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  jayeliot 
#1 ·
My Toshiba laptop has been experiencing unexpected shutdowns now and then over the past month. And I have noticed a pattern. It shuts down after going into sleep mode (not always, but often enough). Here are the specs :

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2939 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1341 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 294453 MB, Free - 230914 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Updated and Enabled

I read a thread in the Windows 7 forum where he too is experiencing shutdowns. The TechGuy suggested that this guy's cooling fan may be not working. I have since been monitoring my fan and it seems to be functioning well. It cycles on once every minute or two.It runs for about 10 seconds. It is quiet and heat comes out the side. I have been feeling around the laptop frequently and have not felt any heat buildup anywhere.

So I loaded an app call SpeedFan. I have been monitoring the temps. As the Temp1 gets to 126, the fan kicks in and the temp drops immediately to 117 and the fan shuts off.

Note again - this laptop has never shut down in the middle of a session, only when it has gone to sleep.

In order to restart the laptop, I simply press the power button. It reboots and then a notice appears that there was an unexpected shutdown. And it asks if I want to start in safe mode or normal. Choosing normal gets me up and running again with no ill affects.

I had loaded an ad-aware software app shortly before these events started happening. I have since done an uninstall. But the shutdowns continued. I then tried a restore to an earlier time but for some reason I had a serious problem - the rebooting got caught in an endless loop of errors. I finally got into safe mode and undid the restore. Booting up is now OK but shutdowns continue when asleep.

New observation - if I close the screen, but leave the laptop on, the laptop goes into sleep mode AND when I re-open the screen, on several occasions, the laptop never comes out of sleep mode. I actually had to remove the battery to force a reboot. The battery is two years old but does hold a charge for at least one hour.

Rather than a overheat problem, do I instead have a mechanical problem ?

I have changed the power settings so that it never goes into sleep mode, and I stopped closing the screen. So far I have not had a shut down for 3 days. I leave it on all day and turn it off at night. No more unexpected shutdowns !!

Any ideas ?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.