1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop shuts down, powers off randomly.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hthompson1, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hthompson1

hthompson1 Thread Starter

I am using a Compaq Presario 2700T, 384 mb ram, 933 hz processor, XP Home Edition, service pack 1.

The computer simply shuts down randomly. I believe it may be due to something overheating. I hear what sounds like a fan running before it happens. Sometimes the fan seems to run a very long time, never shuts off. There is a soft sounding fan and then at times there is a louder fan that also seems to be running. Then suddenly, the power is off. No warning, no hesitation. Just off.

Sound familiar to anyone??

Harry

2. alexenjen

alexenjen

same problem, same make..I'm researching if there's a recall on the power supply...I will however have the hardware looked at..I already tried to reformat..no difference..problem stayed..

Go to HP.com search the archive for Presario Recall...

3. hthompson1

hthompson1 Thread Starter

I tried removing the battery day before yesterday. I have not had a problem with the shutdowns since. Is this the problem?? I hope so, perhaps a new battery is needed.

4. winbob

winbob

Is the battery charging???

What is the % charge showing for the Battery?

The fan situation is either a 2 speed fan (my HP has that) or a second fan for serious cooling requirements.

It is possible that a bad battery could be puting an excessive load on the PS causing it to overheat and shutdown? If it stays up continuously with the battery removed, that would be a good clue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice