Laptop shuts down while in use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bartog

Thinkpad X201 i5 CPU, 2.67 Ghz, 120GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Windows Defender, ( up to date Win 7 security updates )

Since July this laptop has shut itself down three times. The shutdown is instant loss of everything (shutdown) exept the power light (plugged into mains). Black screen everything stops. Today I was reading a PDF and the laptop was disconnected from the internet at the time (physically offline) of the 'instant off' event.
Looked in event viewer,
kernel.JPG
kernel1.JPG
I see that in the event viewer there have been lots of warnings and errors leading up to these critical crash events. What should I do to stop this occuring ?

bartog

This X201 is a recent purchase from an ebay seller. He refurbs Thinkpads. SSD is a 128GB ( not 120 as mentioned above ) un-branded drive. There are no errors in device manager.
The seller writes;

'This laptop came to me with Windows 7 already installed.

As part of the refurbishment I perform a clean install.

I use Produkey to find and extract the Windows COA key.

I install Windows 7 Professional without all the baggage

and bloatware that comes with MS Windows.

I then use the original COA to reactivate Windows'

The laptop is put to sleep on battery power whenever I go out. It's used on battery ( un-branded long life battery) and mains power. I use my Lenovo PSU.

critical.jpg
critical2.jpg
critical3.jpg
The SSD is only half full. This sudden shut down - no restart event is a first for me. I have no idea whether it's a hardware or software issue. Windows seems ok after I restart manually. Could it be the low cost SSD or battery ? The kernel is throwing a lot of errors so I'm guessing a OS software issue.

bartog

So far there have been no further Windows 7 crashes. Read a lot of 'help' topics and was reminded of sfc. So opened command prompt as admin and sfc /verifyonly showed an error which was fixed by sfc /scannow.

I've no idea whether it will fix the crash problem. Time will tell. The Event viewer is still showing kernel warnings and errors.

A new oddness is that since the sfc check and re-start, a watermark is now showing at the bottom right hand side of the desktop screen. Windows 7 Build 7601. Windows is showing as activated and works nornally in user and admin mode. I tried a couple command prompt lines from sevenforums but they failed to remove the watermark;
7601.JPG

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutoria...ws-7-build-7601-watermark-remove-desktop.html

Is this message showing because this is a reactivated copy of Windows ?

(I also removed the RAM and cleaned the contacts with isoproponol solution then re seated )

How would I remove this message ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online