1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop shutting down after removing HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GinnyP, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GinnyP

GinnyP Thread Starter

Hello!

Since yesterday whenever I remove the HDMI cable, my laptop shuts down. So, I unplug the cable, the computer stays on for about another second, then shuts down completely. As if I just cut the power.

I didn't have the problem a few weeks ago, but haven't removed the cable since, so I don't know when the problem started to appear because it became an issue only yesterday.

Thanks for any answers!

SysInfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16270 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (43 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 838F
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware, Enabled and Updated

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Why are you removing the HDMI cable without powering down?

3. GinnyP

GinnyP Thread Starter

Why would I do that? I've never done that before. I'd have to restart my laptop several times a day, just because I wanted to remove a HDMI cable. That seems like unnecessarily much work. Of course, now it forces me to do that anyway. Which is a huge issue.

To answer the question more specifically - though I fail to see how that will help - all my programs close when my laptop shuts down. I don't want that to happen because when I unplug a HDMI cable I want my programs to continue running.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What different devices are you plugging and unplugging to that you do this several time a day?

Also what new software or updates have you installed just before this started?

5. GinnyP

GinnyP Thread Starter

Different TV screens and/or projectors mainly. I don't need several of them every day, but sometimes it happens, especially with business presentations.

I updated some drivers last week, and used a new graphics tablet which I uninstalled to see if it solves the problem or not. It didn't. Some time before that I used a browser extension to translate specific words on websites, which was new. I also played a short game that was installed on a flash drive. I don't remember any kind of new software besides that.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What drivers did you update and why?

Is your system really shutting down or has it gone to sleep, hibernation or even suspend?

7. GinnyP

GinnyP Thread Starter

A program I used didn't work anymore, so I updated the drivers for my graphic cards, which fixed the problem. I then noticed that some other drivers weren't up to date too, so I did these next. I'm not quite sure what all of them were, but I think on of it was for my mouse, others were various system devices.

And yes, it shuts down completely. When I turn it on again, I've been logged out and all my programs have been forcefully closed.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I would say that the graphic card update may have caused this.
    You might double check the OEM for the latest driver.

Are you using some third party program to check for these drivers?

9. GinnyP

GinnyP Thread Starter

Yes, but I only download them from the device manager. Still, I checked online to see if there was a newer update available. There was. I installed that. (I'm not sure what OEM means, but I thought it meant Intel's website, so I looked there.)

All said, it fixed the problem. Thanks a lot!
    The solution wasn't that hard too. Sorry if I wasted your time. Thanks again!

10. RT

RT

Just an FYI Ginny, OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    Glad your problem is solved!

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You did not waste my time, this is what we are here for.
    Good to see that you got things working again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice