1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop slow and audio distortion with games and other things.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Supertabi, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Supertabi

Supertabi Thread Starter

I wrote a whole thing here and it logged me out when I clicked on send and lost everything, so I'll try to give the short version of this (edit: was unsuccessful at short):

I have had this computer for nearly two years, it works fine most of the time. I use it for many things one of them is to play World of Warcraft and Skyrim. While I play, the system will be okay one second and then everything gets really slow and the audio gets awfully distorted, the framerate goes to nearly 0, and it overall just feels like things are going to explode. The distortion lasts for about 15 seconds then things go back to normal. I play the games on minimum settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Lately it's happening less horribly every now and then even when I'm not playing.

System Info
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4043 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1797 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 588647 MB, Free - 295089 MB; D: Total - 21527 MB, Free - 2293 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3585
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Overheating?
    I read it could be overheating so I got a program called RealTemp 3.70. Normally the computer is on 55 C° (131 F) average but I tried to replicate the problem and it first went up to 86°C (186 F) with no problem and then when it was on around 70° C (158 F) it slowed and distorted and stretched but only for about 2 seconds.

However I don't know what should be the max temperature. Could this be the problem?

Aditional Info
    I think I keep the system reasonably clean, protected and upgraded. I use Avira for viruses and Malware Bytes and they haven't given me any alerts. I CCclean, defrag and run disk scans every now and then, the Device Manager doesn't show any Driver conflict, I only use Chrome to browse the internet, etc.

By the way, my brother has the same exact computer and he can play Skyrim until his brain bleeds and none of this ever happens.

Also, the warranty and all that have already finished.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can give me to solve this. It's upsetting to see the computer do that and I am not sure if it could cause any permanent damage. I don't know too much about this.

Thank you guys!

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  3. Supertabi

Supertabi Thread Starter

Yes I have used it. I have all the backups though. I'll check the links, thanks!

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Does that include the registry cleaner portion?

What happens if you play an audio CD?

How often do you reboot your computer? Does the computer perform better after a shutdown? n

Good job with the temp investigation.

hold down the flag key on your keyboard Tap the "r" key,
    RUN will appear.
    release the flag key
    type:msconfig.exe
    enter
    If the computer is in normal startup as displayed by the system config utility, left click "cancel"
    If in selective or or diagnostic startup,
    go to the "processes" or "services" tab
    create screen shots as you scroll through to display all items

repeat for the startup tab

W7 includes a tool for this; snipping
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

return to this thread
    "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    upload
    close window
    submit reply

Boot to safe mode with networking.
    If you have a wi fi connection, this might not work.
    Test the audio

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Do you & your brother both connect by wi or by ethernet?

To which brand, model & model # do you connect?

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which brand, model & model # computer do you use? If you have posted it, I apologize. I do not see it.

RF123

6. Supertabi

Supertabi Thread Starter

Yes, I have used the registry cleaner, though not as frequently as the program cleaner. I always make a registry backup and I have 5 backups. That's how many times I have done it. I was under the impression that orphaned keys would be a problem but apparently not, so I guess I won't be running this anymore.

I am guessing maybe the backups are of not use anymore, it would restore previous things but mess up the things I have installed and changed ever since...

There's no problem when it plays an audio CD.

The computer is usually only on when I use it, I turn it off about twice a day maybe. I don't think it performs better after a shutdown, but the computer works pretty well normally. The problem only seems to happen when 'heavier' things have to run, like the games I mentioned.

I went to the gaming portion of this site, and checked the "will my game play?" thing, and my computer seems to be well above the requirements.

It is in normal startup. Should I still show you the list?

By the way thanks for telling me about the slicing tool, I didn't know it existed. I just used print screen and paint to cut and save.

The audio works normally, the distortion only occurs sometimes like when I play games and the rest of the time the audio works as it should.

We connect by wifi. The main desktop computer goes by ethernet but we have a router and the laptops connect by wifi.

I am sorry, I am not sure. I looked in the device list and it says "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030". Is that it?

Thank you so much for your help.

7. Supertabi

Supertabi Thread Starter

It's a Hewlett-Packard.
    It says model: HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
    The other specs are in my first post.
    Tell me if you need more info.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Boot to safe mode with networking.
    If you have a wi fi connection, this might not work.
    Test by playing a game.

Which brand router? Hopefully the router has a label with that information

If not
    start > computer
    On the left, left click "network"

Create a screen shot & attach it.
    Instructions, above.

Which pavillion dv4?

Let us wait on the lists.

You may need to familiarize yourself with
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

RF123

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which "other things" please?

If you can't play your games off line, in W7 normal mode connect to the internet using ethernet. Does the problem persist? If so, connect to the internet using ethernet & boot to safe mode with networking.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Handy for you that you have your brother's computer for comparison.

In the system tray, in W7's normal mode, hover over the wi fi connection icon. What's your speed? What's your brother's speed?

RF123

11. Supertabi

Supertabi Thread Starter

I'm sorry it took a while to reply. I had to deal with dinner and family.

Other things: Mainly when voice chatting through gtalk. But I can voice chat just fine most of the time. Also, the distortion that happens during voice chatting is less severe and doesn't last as much as when I play WoW.

I found the box. It's a Pavilion dv4-4066la

Right now I am in safe mode with networking, also after doing a clean boot according to the instructions. The wifi does work, but the sound doesn't work at all. The icon show as if I had muted the computer but I didn't. When I try to activate the audio it brings out a troubleshooting wizard and finishes saying it could not be fixed. I did not attempt to play because it had no sound and it was my main signal that something was wrong.

Is it normal that there's no sound in safe mode with networking?

I'll try to plug it with the ethernet cable and see. For now, here are the internet speed readings, and the router numbers + modem numbers.

http://imgur.com/a/fsU0D

Thank you RF123 for helping me.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

You are welcome. I prefer the method you described, but the snipping tool is eaier for some users; takes less time & typing for me to explain. :)

No problem. The site founder wants this to be a family oriented site.

YUP! Same with any safe mode because in safe mode, oops, I just realized that choppy autio is your primary issue only some drivers load; which is why your video is weird & wi fi might not work.
    "Sorry about that, Chief". Maxwell Smart, Get Smart sit com 1960's. And a movie with Anne Hathaway & Steve Carell
    [ sp ] within the past 10 yrs.

Thanks.

Please attach the files you uploaded to imgur.com
    "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    load
    close window
    submit reply.

Go the the system config utility [ msconfig ]
    Left click "services" tab
    Left click "manufacturer" That will sort the items by manufacturer.
    AFter you have made a list or created screen shots which I would like you to attach
    left click "hide all microsoft services"
    THEN left click "disable all services"
    This will keep the Microsoft services enabled
    Left click "startup" tab
    Left click "disable all services"
    Left click "ok"
    Accept the reboot option.
    Test

Report back, or you can continue yourself.
    I might have some tips when it comes to re-enabling items.
    I prefer to re-enable services for a product or manufacturer & corresponding startup items.
    I have confidence in you, but I offer my assistance.
    The purpose of clean boot troubleshooting is to use the scientific method [ as opposed to haphazard or shotgun method ] to determine the cause of the conflict.

edit
    After the reboot, W7 will notify that you are running in selective startup & ask if you want to see the msg again. I select the "no" option, but it is your choice

end edit

RF123

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

S t i:
    I realize that your have an HP computer, not a Dell computer. I searched support.hp.com for this issue using HP's search feature, but there were no hits. I'll try a couple other methods.

Meanwhile, you may want to consider the tips from Dell users with your issue.

There seem to be many approaches & causes.
    control panel > upper right, set "view by" to "large icons"
    Open "sound"
    On the "playback" tab, left click the default device
    Left click "properties", lower right
    We need to find enhancements
    From this arcticle
    On my W7 Pro SP1,
    I have an "enhancements" tab

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19462013.aspx

I would like you to test your computer using Windows Media Player because:

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice