Laptop slowdown - please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wishbear21

I'm currently running Windows ME on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It gave me no problems (at least, that I didn't directly cause myself) until this week.

It is slow starting up, and it's freezing every 20 minutes or so. Usually while I'm working on the internet.

I just got a new internet service, an ethernet connection. I've done all the anti-spyware, anti-tracking cookie everything, I've gone through msconfig and gotten rid of everything I don't need, and I'm going to do a virus scan tonight (in theory, if it doesn't freeze up again). I'm running ZoneAlarm, and it still freezes whether it is running or not. I need some help figuring out the most likely cause of this in case it is not a virus.

Some ideas I had are:

1) I haven't worked with the laptop for a few years. I'd play around on it once every few months, but I haven't had it up and running on a daily basis since the beginning of 2006.

2) The laptop battery is as dead as a doornail. So much so it won't turn on unless it's plugged in, and if I don't turn it on everyday, it loses the time and date.

3) the internet service suggests using Windows 2000 or greater. Which I don't think is the problem given I had an ethernet service before and did not have this problem.

4) the installer just plugged the ethernet cord into my computer, without going through any settings set up. However, if I unplug the cord, the problem doesn't go away.

I love my laptop. It has an eraser mouse, none of the new ones have that except IBM and they have the touchpad on it too, which I don't want. So I need to fix this. Could it be the battery? Does it need some battery power to run properly? Or maybe its age?

Thank you for any ideas!

Some more specs on the lappy would help ....memory etc

And the dead battery shouldn't make a difference

wishbear21

It's a satellite 1800-s253, with128MB ram, 15 GB storage. I'm running IE 6.0.2800.1101.

Should I try updating Internet explorer? Will newer versions of IE work with ME?

If 128mb is the true memory installed then thats your problem...you need more memory

...Should I try updating Internet explorer? Will newer versions of IE work with ME?
No, IE7 doesn't work on WinME.

A cleanup may help. Download CCleaner:

www.ccleaner.com

I would suggest the slim version (English only, no toolbar), that you can download here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Install and launch.

By default it will open the Cleaner section.

Tick all items under the Windows and Applications tabs.

Hit the "Run cleaner" button and IMMEDIATELY reboot when it finishes.

Test.

Zee

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts