1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop slowed down over time and not sure how to fix it.

Discussion in 'Games' started by 10110001, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 10110001

10110001 Thread Starter

2. Sponsor

3. plankton23

plankton23

That link just goes to your driver downloads page.....link me to your documentation page.

Since this is a laptop and I can't navigate your link above for specific model to determine what hardware is installed I can only guess and suggest.

So, the first thing I'd do is make sure you don't have any malware/spyware/adware on the system. Run malwarebytes and superantispyware. Next is to defrag HDD, assuming it's a mechanical HDD and like Auslogics disk defragger. Windows has it's own you can use. Next would be to clean your system from leftover installs and uninstalls and general cleaning along with browser clean up. Download and install Ccleaner for that.

Next would be to physically upgrade your laptop. Normally there's little hardware to upgrade....not like a tower. To make the most significant impact on your system would be to maximize your RAM. Max it out on capacity and speed....example; go from 4 gb to 8 gb and from 1333mhz to 2400mhz. You'll need to check with your manufacturer for specific details on RAM upgrades. Next upgrade would be to replace old HDD with a SSD for over all system performance.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in that Lenovo Z41-70 laptop so we have some idea of its operating system and hardware.

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. 10110001

10110001 Thread Starter

How do I defrag the HDD? Is there a special program to do it?

6. 10110001

10110001 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8105 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M360, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 891 GB (818 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Lenovo Z41-70
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

These are the performance scores for the Intel processor and AMD graphic device in your laptop.

Your TSGSIU log shows Windows Defender disabled.
    Do you have a third-party antivirus app installed?

Type winver in the search box, then press the Enter key.
    When the small window appears, advise us what the exact "Version" and "OS Build" numbers are.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. 10110001

10110001 Thread Starter

Version 1709
    OS BUILD 16299.125

9. 10110001

10110001 Thread Starter

Also, one other thing I think is impacting on my laptop's performance is lots of dust and other unwanted things inside my laptop but I can't seem to open the bottom. I unscrewed all the screws at the bottom and tried to take the bottom off but it didn't work and tried to take it off with a pick but it didn't work. Any advice on how to solve this issue too?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    OS Build 16299.248 is the most current Windows 10, so you need to bring it up-to-date.
    If the inside of your laptop is full of dust and debris, that will cause overheating and will slow down its speed.
    If you don't know how to disassemble it to clean it properly, you need to get someone who does to do it for you.
    You don't want to do something wrong and wind up with an expensive heavy doorstop.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice