1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop sound gets increasingly distorted, then stops altogether.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bahweep, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bahweep

bahweep Thread Starter

For Christmas, I got a Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop with Windows 8.1. Yesterday while watching a Youtube video I noticed the sound was distorted and crackly, so I tried other videos to make sure it wasn't just that video, and other videos also produced distorted and crackly sound. Eventually, the sound became very slow-motion and laggy, and then stopped altogether. I then tried to play music through Spotify, and Spotify gave me an error message that said "There is a problem with your sound card. Spotify can't play music." There is also no sound when playing videos through VLC Media Player.

This problem is temporarily solved by restarting the computer. Yesterday, sound was fine for a couple hours after restarting, but today that time window has gotten shorter to maybe a half hour. Right now, no Youtube videos or Spotify music will give sound, but when I play a video in VLC, there is no sound for about five seconds, but then the sound kicks in and is mostly fine but with a little distortion.
    I have went into Device Manager and checked under "Sound, video and game controllers" and tried to update drivers from there, but it says all drivers are up to date. I did notice however there are two different things listed there. There is "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio". I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I have done exhaustive searches and tried many things (Windows sound troubleshooter, a Dell diagnostics test, Windows updates, Dell updates) and nothing has worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7096 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 943692 MB, Free - 390420 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., Inspiron 3541
    Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Rather than trying to fix this yourself I would take it back for repair or replacement under warranty.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you got that laptop for Christmas less than 2 weeks ago, it didn't take you very long to load it up.

Its 921.57 GB hard drive has 381.26 GB of free space left and is almost 60% full.

It's my guess there's a conflict or other issue with one or more multimedia-related programs, plug-ins, codecs, etc..

-------------------------------------------------------

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You should also check that you don't have speakers plugged into a headphone socket. The wrong impedance will soon damage the sound card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice