1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop sound problem..please help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Xenos, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I have an old dell laptop that is having a sound issue. I dont hear any sound at all. I tried the diagnostic check with the Dell floppy and all sound tests pass. I tried DXDIAG and got the following result:Sound Test Result: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)
    I am getting two yellow exclamation marks by the following in device manager:
    ES1887 Audio Drive(this device cannot find any free DMA resources to use)
    ES1688(this device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed.)

Computer Specs:
    Windows 98 SE (4.10, Build 2222) A
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel Pentium, MMX
    Memory: 32MB RAM
    Page File: 26MB used, 1121MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 6.1a (4.06.03.0518)
    DxDiag Version: 4.06.03.0518

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The 1688 and 1887 are two different sound cards......I'd try going into the control panel, system, device manager and removing both of them....safemode will probably be best......reboot and hopefully windows will find the correct one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice