1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop:Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tubesox, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

Dell lattitude D600 w/ Windows XP professional

My sound stops working after each shutdown/restart. I have to reinstall my sound card if I want sound. I spoke with Dell, they walked me through some steps, but couldn't figure it out. They think I need to start over and reinstall windows. I'm not willing to do that. I've got the latest Sigma Tell C-major audio driver and I'll keep reinstalling it if I have to. I shouldn't have to though.

anyone ever heard of anything like this? :confused:

2. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it's possible that the card is faulty. But i would suspect the driver is the cause. Try finding an older driver to go back on. www.driverguide.com has a bunch of drivers and i'm sure that they would have an old one.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am going to move this to Hardware forum so we can have our hardware geeks look at this. Also I saw in your other posts that you had Windows 98 before with some serious issues. I'm thinking that there maybe a conflict with drivers somewhere.

5. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

Win 98 was on my prior machine.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah I think it's a conflict issue

7. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

Would it be a start up item? It only loses it at restart. I have taken some things out of start up and reinstalled the driver and the sound didn't come back. I rechecked the items and restarted and reinstalled the driver again and sound was back.

In my startup items, I've tried about everthing from checkin none to all and everything else in between.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what do you have in the start up?

9. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

If I run msconfig., I get the following under startup programs.

Checked: naimag32, type32,DSentry, Bascs tray, atiptaxx, ati2mdxx, cisco VPN, Run Popfile (email spam guard).

Unchecked: DirectCD, Apoint, quickset, point32, qttask, ReplayRadio, jusched, realsched, type32, principia online update

10. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

Anyone have a clue

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Audio Driver dated 1-18-05

Download this driver, then install it. Make sure that you choose to install it yourself. When it asks for the driver, press have disk, then point the driver to the location of where the driver is. Hopefully that will help.

12. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

This is the exact driver that I install on a dailey basis. It won't let me install it though the update have disk method. It tells me I already have the latest.

I just tried a roll back to a previous driver, lets see what that does.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it doesn't work, go to the device in device manager and uninstall all the devices for sound. (Right click and press uninstall) Then reboot and let the devices be found again. The machine should allow you do choose the driver then.

14. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

I will try that now. I was hopeing to go back in time through system restore and find an event that could have started this problem. But, I could only go back to Nov 1st '04.

15. tubesox

tubesox Thread Starter

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

YOU FIXED IT!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Thanks a bunch. I was doing the right thing by installing the new driver, but I should have uninstalled the old one first.

Thank YOU!! I can finally put this to rest.

Windows startup sound is music to my ears!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice