Laptop sparked and smoked, please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sumedumdum

Yesterday, my computer randomly shut down without showing any lights that it is charging or anything. I looked online and saw that there were 2 possible fixes. One was to just wait a day or so, the other was to take out the battery, and start the computer with only the charger. So I waited a day to see if that fixed it, and that didnt. Then I decided to do the battery thing, so I took out the battery from the bottom of my laptop, and tried to turn it on without the battery in, but it did not turn on at all. So then i decided to put the battery back in, and when i had it about 75% in, something sparked in the back of my laptop and started giving of smoke. I took out the battery again, not wanting my laptop to catch on fire. I am still to scared to put it back in, any help wouls be very appreciated.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Was the power adapter still connected to that laptop when you tried to reinsert its battery?

You didn't describe that laptop or say how old it is, so I'm wondering if its hard drive failed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sumedumdum

The power addapter was not plugged into the laptop when I put the battery in. The laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio X870 and it is about 4 years old. Hope this helps you help me.

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It appears the Toshiba Qosmio X870 laptop originally came with Windows 8 64-bit.
What's the complete model number and part number on yours?
(The complete model number and part number should be 2 sets of characters separated by a dash)

I've never seen a laptop spark and smoke when replacing its battery, but that doesn't sound good.
If you're willing to spend the time and money, a reliable laptop technician should be able to diagnose the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sumedumdum

That is the area that sparked and then smoked. I am not a very techy person when it comes to parts and such, so im wondering if you can gather were it happened with this picture. Any hint would be much appretiated thank you. (Sorry I needed to use snapchat to highlight where the smoke came out of)
Screenshot_20170108-110617.png

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I misunderstood you earlier and assumed the sparking and smoking came from the battery compartment.
Other than the motherboard, I'm not sure what components are under that plastic grill area.

This issue is beyond my expertise, so I think it's best to have a reliable laptop technician look at it.
It appears to be about 4 years old and was expensive to buy when new, so it may be cost-effective to have that done.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts