1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop speed/lag issues with most programs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by brenjrs, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brenjrs

brenjrs Thread Starter

Hi there,

First let me begin by saying I don't have the best laptop in the world (Acer Aspire ES1-523) however I bought it new only 1 year ago and haven't really installed much on it, yet seems to struggle running most programs without experiencing some kind of lag. I'm sure something must be wrong, just wanted to know if there is a serious issue or I simply need to upgrade. I will list the specs below:

Processor: AMD E1-7010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics 1.50 GHz
    Ram: 4 GB
    Windows 10

Is it normal to be using 72% memory and CPU useage going up to 97% CPU with only 1 app (firefox) running? it stays around 50% used most of the time but occasionally spikes. It says there are 49 background apps running, is this normal? I get alot of lag with most programs, Youtube tends to stutter despite me having a good internet connection and I can barely run low-graphic games such as Sims 4 and Minecraft without freezing.

I just want to know what the most common cause could be for my laptop being so slow?

Many thanks,
    Brendan

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Acer Aspire ES1-523 laptop doesn't have the speed and "horsepower" for some of the things you want to use it for.
    It's designed for basic use, such as browsing and e-mail.

We don't know how well it's maintained and what's installed and running in it, so that can have a big impact on speed and performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. brenjrs

brenjrs Thread Starter

Thanks, just wanted to know if it was normal or not.

If that is the case, is it worth upgrading the CPU and RAM to get a bit more out of it, or would I be better off buying a new computer altogether? I don't really need it for much else, I just want it to run a bit faster.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I seriously doubt the processor in your laptop is user-upgradeable.
    And even if is, it's really not cost-effective.

Unless you insist on buying a brand new laptop, there are tons of refurbished ones out there that have the speed and "horsepower" that you may need.
    I've been buying nothing but refurbished laptops ad desktops since 2008, and have bought most of them from the Newegg site.
    If you don't know what to look for, ask a computer-knowledgeable family member or friend to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

brenjrs and Lanctus like this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice