1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Speed Up Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ecko69x, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

Specs: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2.1GHZ
    4 GB 667mhz (DDR3 1337)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 series
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    HD - Hitachi 330GB 5400 RPM
    MB - Acer Aspire 7551 memory slots 4, max cap 32768 Mbytes
    Norton 360

My laptop seems to require frequent restarts before I play any games that require a lot of power (I play Left 4 Dead 2 and Vindictus). I have gone into Services and msconfig and disabled many services/programs that I do not use. I also noticed that I have 4 slots of memory available and only 2 are taken up. Would I benefit if I were to add another 2 or 4 GB of ram?

As well I noticed it said my ram is 667 instead of 1337. Does this mean my ram is only going at 50% of it's max?

2. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

Bump.

3. mark5111

mark5111

your video processor is weak, try turning down the graphic settings in the game options !

4. katokato

katokato

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You may have slots available for more RAM; but, added RAM will be totally unrecognized unless your operating system is 64 bit. Also, check your system specifications to be sure your hardware supports more RAM.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer Aspire 7551 laptop supports up to 8 GB of RAM and uses these modules:

DDR3 PC3-8500 (1066 MHz)

DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333 MHz)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen a laptop with 4 memory slots.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

Yeah my OS is 64 byte. I forgot to mention that. I only knew my laptop had 4 memory slots because of the program I used (SIW, System Information for Windows).

I bought my laptop through Staples and got the 2 year warranty on it so I can just take it to them. But I want to know if I'll notice a significant difference with the added RAM.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The program you're using is showing an incorrect number of memory slots. If you unscrew the cover(s) on the bottom of the case, you'll likely see there are only 2 slots. Every site that I've been to about that laptop says it has 2 memory slots, and that each one can support up to 4 GB of RAM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

So there probably isn't much else I can do?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That laptop has the 64-bit version of Windows 7, so I would replace the 2 - 1 GB modules with 2 - 2 GB modules and increase the amount of RAM to 4 GB.

I doubt if increasing it to 8 GB will make any difference over 4 GB because you don't have the luxury of upgrading the video.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

I have 4GB of ram.

12. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You have to be using major software to see a difference between 4 and 8 gigs of ram.
    Myself am not a gamer...but do know that some games use alot of ram...I dont think at this time games have evolved to the point of 4 gigs of ram being a bottle neck...so IMO you would gain very little with the upgrade.

I would also like to point out something you may want to consider,,,the life of the laptop,,Gaming kills laptops...A tremendous amount of heat is developed while gaming...A laptop doesnt have the cooling that a desktop has..The airflow is very small for one...also there is no extra room inside to radiate heat away...you will kill the video even if you are able to keep the cpu temps down

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Oops! I got you confused with another laptop user in another thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

It can happen...I have even posted in XP forum thinking I was in the 7 forum...Similar problems and questions that i had seen just a few minutes earlier...next thing you know I am typing away forgetting which thread I am in....giving XP advice for 7

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice