1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamieNJ, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

A simple question or questions I think. I run a specialized application on my laptop, and it runs slower then when my co-workers run the application. I could compare notes with my co-workers, but they are not in my office.

How do I determine the chip speed for the laptop, and what is typically found on new purchases?

Does the op system matter? I am W2000; I think my co-workers are or have already been upgraded to whatever is more current (I don't even know!).

I have 500 meg of RAM. Does that matter?

Thanks

2. parasolution

parasolution

For system info:

Click - Start - Control Panel - System

The first tab (General tab) will display CPU and memory capacity.

If you want detailed info, download a free program called CPUZ. But its probably overkill for the info you are looking for.

Alot of things will determine how fast or slow your computer runs, i.e. the amount of memory, processor speeds, fragmentation of the drive/files, spyware, etc.

3. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Thanks. Chip speed is 1.70 GHz. Is that in the ballpark of what one would get with a new laptop? Also, what is the max chip speed one could get these days?

4. parasolution

parasolution

Depends on the type of processor you have in there. But with you running windows 2000, I am assuming you have an older processor, not the latest Duo-Core's. If its a P4 or Celeron chip, than no, the laptop is not up to date. My Fujitsu runs at 3 GHz and is 2 years old.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's probably a 1.7GHz Pentium M which I would say is about average for a fairly new laptop. Don't go by processor speed alone when determining the overall performance of a computer. With dual core processors coming out, the clock speed may be lower, but the performance will be better.

Depending on what this special application you're running is, I'd say the most likely cause of your performance problems is RAM. I assume 512MB is installed since there are no 500MB chips. The memory might be shared with the graphics card which could also affect performance depending on what this app is. I would suggest looking into adding more RAM to the machine.

The most current operating system is Windows XP, however, upgrading to a new operating system will definitely not make your computer run faster. It will, in fact, make it run slower because it requires more resources (processor, RAM, etc.)

6. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to tell what type of chip it is? The General tab says Intel Pentium M, besides the 1.7 GHz chip speed. Does that tell you if it's P4 or Celeron?

7. parasolution

parasolution

Pentium M is the chip.

As DoubleHelix said, RAM upgrade will be helpful. Also make sure your drive is not fragmented. Check for spyware, as that can slow you down.

8. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

It says 523,184 KB, which works out to close to 512 MB. I was being sloppy before when I said 500. I think I can upgrade to 2MB ram.

Sounds like there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade from W2000 to XP.

The applicaiton is actuarial projection software, and it is running a C++ executable.

9. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

I ran the Analyze choice for the Disk Defragmenter, and it said the volumd (C drive) did not need defragging. Any spyware I have is company installed, so I do not think I can monkey with that. I have a request in to upgrade the memory to 2G.

10. paul_doo

paul_doo

Defrag anyways an your system may not be capable of 2 gigs of ram, all depends. Some specs of your system would help to clarify.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The type of chip is Pentium M. It's not a Celeron nor is it a Pentium 4.

12. Yakiba

Yakiba

It's a company machine? Shouldn't you have brought this to the IT guys there??? J/K!:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice