1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop SSD crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sicae, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sicae

sicae Thread Starter

I recently bought a Vizio ultrabook (mistake!), and after using it for about three weeks it died yesterday.

I've done some diagnostic work on it and found that it's the SSD that's the issue.

The SSD is a Toshiba 128GB (THNSNW128GMCP).

Here's the full story:

I was working on my pc during a lecture, when I closed the lid to let it go to sleep. After opening it back up it showed my a blank (not black) screen. The power light was on, so I waited a minute or so for something to happen, and when it didn't I turned it off by holding the power button. Then it stopped working.

Now when I turn it on it shows the Vizio BIOS image and reboots. It does this four times, and on the fourth time it seems to force trying to load an OS. That gives me an error saying there's no bootable media.

I am able to enter the BIOS setup from the Vizio image (but only on the fourth reboot).

What I've tried:
    • Checked in the BIOS setup whether it can see my SSD. It can.
    • I looked for an option to remove the Vizio image by default, so I can see the BIOS checks. Can't.
    • I tried booting into Linux (SystemRescue-CD 3.3.0) on USB, and that gives me errors on checking the SSD. It starts checking at UDMA/133, which fails, then checks UDMA/100, all the way down to UDMA/33, which also fails. So basically it doesn't see the drive.
    • I opened up the laptop to see whether the SSD was still properly connected, which it was.

I'm usually the "tech support guy" in my group of friends and colleagues, but this has me completely stumped. Normally I would at least have an idea where to begin, but I'm just baffled by this..

Help please..?

2. Abriam26

Abriam26

Use your warranty?

I think your SSD is broken partly.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its a brand new computer i would certainly either have it fixed under the warranty or maybe see if you can return it as being faulty.

4. replay

replay

really confuses me when people buy something brand new, run into issues after a week or so then try and fix it (now if its their fault thats another story)
    most stores or online retailers have generous return policies

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice