Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop starting up with black screen?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SUEOHIO 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've got a Dell Studio 1537 running Windows Home Premium SP2.

The screen has always been an issue, but recently appears to be worse. Most times I restart the machine, it starts up with a blank screen. Luckily I have an external monitor (that I would prefer to use to extend my desktop) so I can still use it, and there's absolutely no problem displaying externally (I've used both VGA and HDMI - both fine).

If I continuously switch the laptop off and on it will eventually start up on the main screen, so I know it's not broken, but 9 times out of ten when I restart next it will be back to black. (By the way I sometimes need to switch off/on 30 or 40 times before it works).

I know it's not drivers because it's black from the start (I don't even get the DELL logo), I've also formatted the whole machine a number of times which did nothing to help and checked all drivers with 'Slimdrivers'.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Can it only be hardware related at this point? A loose connection or problem on the motherboard? Does anyone know a trick so that I don't have to do the afore mentioned 30 to 40 restarts everytime? Something that will force the laptop to recognise the screen?

The main screen also lights up very slightly when it's switched on so it's not like there's no signal at all reaching it.

My warranty is gone so there's no point in me contacting Dell. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah good point.

Any idea why it would work simetimes? Can you think of anything I could do to even speed up the recovery so that I'm not switching off/on 50 times everytime? I've been trying removing the battery and holding power to drain it completely and then replacing the battery and trying. I'm not sure but I think it makes it more likely that it will switch on normally...

#6 ·
It's broken. There's a short. Something's loose. Something's failing. There's no "recovery". Without going into the details of how circuits, switches, and silicon chips work, I can't give you a better explanation than that.

Your computer has a hardware problem. It's not going to recover, get better, or magically start working perfectly. Eventually, it will stop working completely. I would suggest you buy a new computer before that happens. I'd also get tired of switching something off and on 50 times. You're shortening the life of the power switch, the motherboard, and basically the entire system by doing that.

#7 ·
The dell outlet store has a lot of good reconditioned preowned laptops for sale if you want to get another dell.Having bought quite a few dell computers over the years both new and used from dell and various other sources i dont believe you can buy a brand new dell laptop for 400 dollars unless its on sale or a bottom of the line model or one thats bare bones so to speak.I have a dell studio 1555 and ive had no problems with it.The dell models that seem to hold up the best in laptops are the studios, inspirons, vostros,latitudes, and precisions.The gaming models ive never had but i do know the xps ones in particular have been known to have numerous problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.