1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Starts To Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by texastoy4her, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texastoy4her

texastoy4her Thread Starter

Hey All,

Been a while since I've been here. Been figuring things out on my own but have come upon something that has me stumped.

I have a HP Pavilion DV1000 laptop that doesn't have a monitor ( long story there lol ). Anyhow, I have been having it hooked up to a Dell monitor/TV with a VGA and just using it that way.

I had it in my spare room but my TV in the living room went out so I moved it all there. Been working fine until today when I got the living room TV fixed and moved the Dell monitor/TV and laptop back to the spare room.

I can turn the laptop on and then turn the monitor on and I get the HP splash screen and then the Windows Splash screen. While on the Windows splash screen with the blue bar showing it's loading, it will stop moving and after a few seconds I then get a message on the monitor saying no signal from the VGA cable.

I hooked the laptop up to another monitor and still the same thing happens. Could anyone help with what might be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks

2. supaFlaj

supaFlaj

What about the Safe Mode?

If it doesn't strart in safe mode it is possible your graphic adapter is corrupt.

3. maceman

maceman

So..did I get this right, your computer doesn't start at all (no fans or anything)?

4. texastoy4her

Sorry, I tried explaining but guess I left some off lol.

No, everything seems to be working as normal except when it starts loading Windows, it will load for a few seconds and then all of a sudden I get the message on the monitor "no video signal detected". Like I had unplugged the laptop from the monitor or turned it off. But it's not off. Even at this point all of the lights on the laptop are on. The light for the power button, the wireless adapter, the sound controls, and whatever else I'm not thinking of.

I had thought about trying safe mode yesterday but must be having a duh moment as I can't remember how to do it lol. Will try again in a little bit and post back with the results.

5. Megabite

Megabite

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

6. texastoy4her

Okay, either I have totally lost it or the laptop has lol.

I tried the F8 to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu and it didn't do anything.

When I start the laptop, at the HP splash screen, it gives me 3 options. ESC for boot menu ( which I tried but all it does it bring up the boot menu to boot from the HD, Floppy Drive, DVD Rom Drive, or 1 other that I don't remember), F10 for setup ( which I tried as well and it just takes me into the system info and such) or F12 to boot from LAN ( which doesn't do anything ).

I tried all the other F keys as well just to see and none of them done anything. So not sure what to do now or how to boot into safe mode.

7. maceman

maceman

If you used the same VGA cable when you tried another monitor, it could be simply just the cable.
    Or maybe VGA jack. One possibility is that your graphics card is dead :(

8. GowerIT

GowerIT

... or the screen resolution that is set on your laptop is too high for your TV.

Try safe mode as this operates at a low screen resolution.

To get into safe mode, just after the HP splash screen disappears after starting, keep pressing F8 every half second or so.

Gower IT

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!