1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop stops connecting about once per month

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OverTheRainbow, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OverTheRainbow

OverTheRainbow Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell laptop running XP with SP3 and a PC running Vista with SP2. The PC connects through a Belkin USB adaptor and the laptop through an Intel PROSET/wireless card. About once a month, though, the laptop stops connecting. The PC still connects fine and the laptop will connect fine at McDonald's (unsecured). We can reboot the router and this fixes the problem, but it also irritates my landlords. I want to just fix the problem in the laptop. I have tried running the netsh commands, updating the driver, etc. If I let the router assign an IP address it just won't connect (says "waiting for network"). If I manually assign addresses using the info from the PC, it will stay connected for about 20 seconds. ANY help is greatly appreciated!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Rather difficult to trouble shoot a once-a-month problem. :( Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site is all I can think of short of getting a newer adapter or newer OS.

3. OverTheRainbow

OverTheRainbow Thread Starter

Oh, I didnt' mean that it just briefly stops connecting once a month. A better way to say it, I guess, is that the laptop connects fine for about 3 weeks and then just stops connecting unless the router is rebooted. Right now it hasn't been able to log on for the last 4 days. I have tried a lot of things and researched for hours during the past 4 days.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I failed to completely express my misgivings on trouble shooting. Given that you are getting grief just asking for a router reset is there any sense in talking about a firmware upgrade and reset to factory defaults or changing encryption or running unsecured or changing the channel?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice