1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Stuck in Hibernation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgsketch, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgsketch

jgsketch Thread Starter

I have a sony laptop that will get stuck in hibernation. Hitting the power button does nothing. If I hold down the power button it will start fine. Removing the battery and pluging it back in also works. Also the fan stays on when in Hibernation. It almost seems as though the laptop never goes into hibernation all the way. This results in a battery drain.

I've tried the following to resolve the issue
    1. Checked power settings, they seem to be normal.
    2. Took battery out and held the power button for 30 seconds.
    3. Left battery out for several mins.
    4. Same thing happens when plugged in with AC adapter without battery

Sony does have a power manager, but it seems to not be default, windows power manager is running. Is there anything else I can check to see why this is happening? Thanks.

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

if there is bios check those

3. jgsketch

jgsketch Thread Starter

I checked the Bios and every thing is fine. I called sony Tech support, after about an hour they said it was a software issue and to reformat. I'd rather not reformat, so if anyone has any ideas I wold love to hear them.

After further testing it appears that hibernation is not going into it's final stages, which would explain why the power indicator light and fans stay on. But once you pull power, then you can power on and it resumes out of hibernation.

The tech had me try turning off all services and startup items. Tried waiting for a while without the battery, tried restore point, tried using microsoft power management instead of Sony's. Just out of ideas at this point. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice