1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop stuck on "Setup is starting" screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by soylattemom, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soylattemom

soylattemom Thread Starter

2011 Vaio laptop, windows 7, and that's all I know about the computer. It's my daughter's. Her infant son banged the keyboard, making the screen freeze. It then rebooted and got stuck on Start-up repair or something...I don't remember now, that was a few days ago. We left it for hours, but it didn't go any further. So I tried other remedies:
    1. Removed battery and power cord and held power button for 30 seconds. No change.
    2. Reboot in safe mode. It wouldn't even go into safe mode.
    3. Rebooted to last good configuration. Still wouldn't boot.
    4. Tried to run Windows 7 repair disc. Wouldn't go past the third step.
    5. Removed the hard drive and replaced it with one known to be working, and it just blue-screened and died.

Now it doesn't even get to the startup repair screen. It is on a blue screen that says "Setup is starting". And it stays on that screen.
    Hope someone can help!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The most likely problem after undergoing the shock of an impact is that the hard drive is damaged. Placing a hard drive in it from another PC is bound to cause an error as it will have all the wrong drivers loading at startup which will often cause a blue screen.

Run this diagnostic and tell me the result.

You can create the Seatools disc on any fully functional PC with a CD burner or use any PC to create the Flash Drive.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. If your PC has no CD/DVD drive or you would prefer to run Seatools from a Flash Drive follow this guide: How to run Seatools from a USB Flash Drive

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence Bios Boot Order Guide. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test. If using a Flash Drive you need to set USB to 1st in the boot order, if there is no USB available in the boot order you will have to run the test from a CD.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you do this, you need to reinstall Windows in the computer it's now in - for the reason that Mark advised.

If it was that easy, people would be swapping hard drives from one computer so they could use the same Windows operating system in another computer.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. soylattemom

When I rebooted with the disc in the drive, it says No Hard Drives Found.
    So I guess that means it's probably fried, huh?
    Are we able to retrieve files of of this drive?

5. soylattemom

Good point, flavalee... my son in law actually did that. I really don't know much about what I'm doing. I just know how to follow instructions from other people that have suggestions. :)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'll leave you with Mark. Good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Just to be sure, put the known good drive in the PC and then see if Seatools will find it, that should prove if the suspect drive is dead or it is one of those rare PC's that Seatools isn't compatible with. If it can't find the good drive then we need to try something else.

We may be able to rescue the personal data, I take it you have no back ups? One golden rule of computing is to always keep back ups of anything you don't want to risk loosing to cover you for occasions like this one.

8. soylattemom

Still says no hard drive found even with the good drive.

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Can you put the suspect drive in the system you took the good drive from and see if Seatools will run on that.

10. soylattemom

It's from an old laptop that he doesn't have anymore. The reason we know the drive works is because we used it in our desktop when it crashed until we were able to buy a new one.

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

Can you connect the suspect drive to your desktop and test it on that?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1106854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice