1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop suddenly says "no wi-fi connection"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DKTaber, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

In the middle of doing some things on my Toshiba laptop a couple of hours ago, it suddenly lost the Internet connection. Checking the connections said that no wi-fi was available. Tried Windows 10 connection repair, and it doesn't repair. Despite that, when I look at potential connections, it shows Wi-Fi1 as having 5 bar strength. I plugged in a Belkin wi-fi adapter, which introduced "Wi-Fi2"). Wi-Fi2 (i.e., thru the Belkin adapter) connects fine. Does this mean that the ethernet adapter in my laptop has died, or what?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In Device Manager what is listed under Network Adapters ? If there is a wireless entry right-click it > Properties and see if it's 'working properly'.

(The Ethernet adapter is used for a wired connection).

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

It says it is working properly. . . but it obviously isn't.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    True but it does mean the drivers are installed so we can try other things now.

Using the built-in wireless when you click on the wireless icon near the clock does it show wireless connections exist ?

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

It shows only an Ethernet connection symbol with a red X on it; no wireless icon at all. If I check Network connections, the only object showing is the Ethernet connection, and it indicates it's not plugged in. The instant I plug the Belkin adapter back in, I have a full (and faster that I've ever had) Internet connection. Another strange thing: There is a small red light for the wireless adapter along the right edge of the keyboard. It's red only when it detects that wireless is activated (there is a button where I can activate/deactivate wireless). It is red. . . indicating that the adapter is on. . . but it's clearly not working.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    In Device Manager (DM) what is the wireless connection called ? Also if you use the switch to turn it off does the DM wireless entry change ?

There will be a small wireless card under the keyboard, assuming it's faulty you could replace it or you could simply continue using the Belkin adapter.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

This continues to get stranger. When I looked at what was under Network Adapter in DM when first asked, there was an entry for an Intel adapter. I can't remember exactly what came after the word "Intel". Now, whether the wireless button is on OR off, that item is no longer there. Only the Belkin adapter and something about a PCIe Family Controller.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It's possible the wireless card is faulty. Whatever the problem is do you want to pursue it or just use the Belkin adapter ?

(PCIe entry is probably the Ethernet adapter).

9. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

The computer is relatively old, so I'm just going to continue using the Belkin adapter.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I think that's the best thing to do, especially as it's faster too.

(when/if you're ready please click on Mark Solved at the top of your page)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice