1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop suddenly stopped connecting to most websites

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Seamhead, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seamhead

Seamhead Thread Starter

My Toshiba laptop has been connected wirelessly to my Comcast router without issue until earlier today when I noticed that most websites timed out and couldn't be accessed. I can go to Facebook, Google, and YouTube, but can't access my Hotmail account or other sites I use on a regular basis. I've tried everything I could find on the Internet, including flushing my DNS settings, changing them, scanning for malware, uninstalling McAfee, etc. and the only thing that has gotten me back on track is connecting directly to the Internet with an Ethernet cable, which is what I'm using now.

The only thing I can think of that's different is that I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple days ago. Otherwise, nothing has changed. Can someone please help me diagnose this annoying problem?

Here are my computers technical specs. Thanks in advance!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3518 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 704050 MB, Free - 602125 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, ZBWAE
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If MS also updated the driver for the wireless and it is incorrect, that would do it.

Something else that doesn't look good
    It's not good to be connecting to the internet and not using security programs.

3. Seamhead

Seamhead Thread Starter

I am using security programs. I had uninstalled McAfee just prior to posting here and hadn't turned Windows Defender on yet.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Check your IPCONFIG to see if your wireless is set to only use IPv6. That's the only thing I can think off as the ones you mention that does work has IPv6 enabled.

5. Seamhead

Seamhead Thread Starter

At the risk of sounding like a moron, where would I find the IPCONFIG file? I have a feeling you might be right because I noticed IPv4 seems to be having issues.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    from a command prompt (right click on the Windows icon), type ipconfig/all and note the following for both Wireless and Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . .
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    See that's another change that has been made to the computer. If McAfee is not cleaned off, it might cause problems.

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It could be a DNS issue from the router. You could try to set DNS manually. However, if it doesn't appear when hard-wired, then that's probably not it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice