Laptop to TV issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Persian-Rice

k guys, I will list my specs and problems, hopefully someone can help.

I have an HP5330 with Radeon 9000 and 7 pin(4 top, 3 bottom) s-video out.
I attach a 4 pin s-video to RCA converter and attach the yellow converter to my tv.

Now I go to display>settings>advanced>display and try to choose tv. But the tv option is greyed out, same with the external monitor option. When I try to use the extended monitor (second monitor), the advanced section of monitor 2 does not contain any of the ATI tabs, such as display and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure I need to set my tv to be my second monitor, but it doesnt have any tabs. Can anyone help? When I check display devices in hardware manager I only have one ATI device.

Do i need to set it with my second display and how or is it possible to fix my first display to use that?

Hopefully this enough, oh btw Windows XP Home SP2.

Cheers

First off. The main rule when you connect a PC and a TV-set is to turn off both units. You should not simply press the power button, but take out the power supply cables from the socket. Otherwise you may burn the TV-out of the video card and TV's video-in.

That said, I would try updating the drivers for the card, and rebooting. Some cards have to sense the resistance the tv gives to the connection on booting before tvout will be enabled. This is a safety feature for the above mentioned problems.

You may have problems with the S-Video to RCA converter. As gotrootdude mentions, the card will usually only detect a TV if the ouput has the correct impedance, which occurs when a TV is connected. Some adapters are wired in an incompatible way so as not to provide the correct impedance. There may be an option to force detection of a TV, or you can try using another adapter. I use a bi-directional one, and it works fine.

Persian-Rice

Hey.

Thanks so far. I installed th latest omega drivers and am able to force it, but all I get when I press the button is a faint flicker and thats about it. Still wondering how to get the display option in my second monitors advance tab, so if anyone can answer these, ill be very greatfull. Im gonna head to radioshack to see what I can find in terms fo a cable.

Persian-Rice

Blokey, that did it. Went to RS, told the guy I needed a bi-directional adapter, he asked me for what, so I told him. He went in the back and got me this long cable with s-video on one side and RCA on the other.

Said it was made for laptops and is two-way. So I tried it out and it works great.

Thanks for your help mates.

P-R,

Interesting conversation. Your set IS different than mine, as is your solution.

My HP ZT1170 Laptop has onboard video (S3... older system). I connect to my TV with a double ended S-video cable, and a separate Audio cable.

In order to 'switch' back and forth between LCD and TV I have to use the fn/f5 key combo. If the cable isn't setup or the TV is not set to Aux, the LCD with just flash off and back on.

The TV option is active in my Control Panel settings for Display, but I don't see any effect?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online