Laptop to WiFi Connectivity Issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 987176
  • Start date
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
D

Deleted member 987176

So, I ran into an unconventional problem in the middle of the day realizing that my laptop wouldn’t connect to my home WiFi. I used the windows troubleshooting and it told me to connect via Ethernet, so I did, and Ethernet worked fine.
All my other devices work on the internet connection without the use of Ethernet, but my laptop won’t connect to the internet at all. I can see my home WiFi in the network list, (sometimes), but it says, “Can’t connect to this network”.

WiFi Adapter:
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Driver Version: 19.51.22.2
Physical Address: I can provide if needed.
*Note: I checked the Device Manager, and it states that the device is working properly. I also checked to see if it needed a driver update, but apparently, all drivers are up to date.

*Note: Router/Modem is all fine as other devices work fine. Ethernet works with my laptop but WiFi does not. Is it possible I may need to uninstall and reinstall any drivers?
Resetting network settings did NOT help.

Operation System: Windows 10 (Fully Updated)
Laptop Manufacturer: Dell

Last edited by a moderator:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried removing your credentials and retry?

D

Deleted member 987176

Have you tried removing your credentials and retry?
What do you mean by that? (I have tried to connect manually). Also, I’m gonna try and reset my network settings.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Under Start > Settings > Network and Internet, click on WiFi, then Managed Known Networks:

1594683166655.png

You should see your network. Remove it from here, then restart your machine, then try connecting again.

D

Deleted member 987176

Under Start > Settings > Network and Internet, click on WiFi, then Managed Known Networks:

View attachment 279083

You should see your network. Remove it from here, then restart your machine, then try connecting again.
I did that and nothing but one WiFi connection pops up in the available networks list.
WiFi Adapter:
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Driver Version: 19.51.22.2
Physical Address: I can provide if needed.

*Update: No WiFi networks pop up anymore. I ran the troubleshooter and it responded back with the image below. (Ignore the Drury part).

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site installed.

D

Deleted member 987176

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site installed.
So, go onto their website and install it to verify? I’ll have to try that. What if it is updated though?
*Note: I already went to device manager to see if the driver for the adapter is updated or not.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It’s a personal laptop. It has no affiliation with a company.
OK, wanted to make sure as companies may lock down wireless. What dell machine do you have? What is the service tag? If you don't know, use the link in my signature below to download, install, and run the TSG Info Tool, or if you have SupportAssist, you can see it there.

Not seeing ANY networks (including the neighbours) can be caused by drivers, a wireless switch turned off (and/or Airplane Mode) or a faulty network card.

Maybe a slight chance a 3rd party network security program could be blocking the connection, but let's focus on the first 2 things I have mentioned.

TerryNet

Terry
So, go onto their website and install it to verify?
Yes!

What if it is updated though?
Not sure what you mean. If you mean if Dell has modified Intel's driver to work with their hardware then you definitely want to try Dell's version. You can then try Intel's version (which may be different or may be the same) if Dell's doesn't work for you.

If you mean what if Windows has "updated" the driver to something incorrect I would not be the least surprised. That seems to be one of Windows 10's favorite tricks.

D

Deleted member 987176

OK, wanted to make sure as companies may lock down wireless. What dell machine do you have? What is the service tag? If you don't know, use the link in my signature below to download, install, and run the TSG Info Tool, or if you have SupportAssist, you can see it there.

Not seeing ANY networks (including the neighbours) can be caused by drivers, a wireless switch turned off (and/or Airplane Mode) or a faulty network card.

Maybe a slight chance a 3rd party network security program could be blocking the connection, but let's focus on the first 2 things I have mentioned.
The image below is my machine.
Service Tag: C8HY3K2
Do you still want me to download and run the TSG tool? (Warranty is over by the way).

TSG Tool:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200224222114.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 103 GB (2 GB Free); D: 931 GB (262 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0MVD5F, ver A00, s/n C8HY3K2.CN4864379R00ZO.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n C8HY3K2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online