Laptop to WiFi Connectivity Issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 987176
  • Start date
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
D

Deleted member 987176

That's probably the correct one. Search Dell's web site using your Service Tag and then find the driver for your wireless (Wi-FI) adapter.

Usually don't need to.
Gotcha. I did that and that’s the list of drivers, (plus the 22 from the image), that came up. I downloaded the WiFi one and restarted my PC. It didn’t work :(

Also, I can see very few WiFi networks but I only see one from the two that I have, and all of them are at one bar of strength.

I ran a Speedtest and I got 24 ping and 3.65 download. I typically get around 9 ping and 50 download.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 987176

Gotcha. I did that and that’s the list of drivers, (plus the 22 from the image), that came up. I downloaded the WiFi one and restarted my PC. It didn’t work :(

Also, I can see very few WiFi networks but I only see one from the two that I have, and all of them are at one bar of strength.
Update: it connected to one of my home WiFi networks, but I can’t see any other ones besides that one. Surprisingly, the network strength is also good, but it take a while to load into google searches.

D

Deleted member 987176

Update: it connected to one of my home WiFi networks, but I can’t see any other ones besides that one. Surprisingly, the network strength is also good.
Update: it connected to one of my home WiFi networks, but I can’t see any other ones besides that one. Surprisingly, the network strength is also good, but it take a while to load into google searches.
*NEW UPDATE: It disconnected me from my network randomly and now I can’t see ANY networks from the list.

*And five minutes later, it reconnects back to the network but you can’t see any other networks. (Not even my other one).

TerryNet

Terry
Assuming that you can easily reach the wireless card through a small cover on the laptop bottom remove the card and carefully and firmly reinsert it. This will clean any corrosion of the contacts and make sure the adapter is secure. Also make sure that the antenna leads are secure. This operation is best done with the laptop unplugged and the battery removed.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To confirm, you downloaded this one?

1594742053399.png

There has been some complaints about the same card. Considering the computer is about 3 years old, it shouldn't have this issue, but it does sound like the wifi card is faulty.

One possible solution is to update the BIOS. Note: updating the BIOS is relatively safe, as long as you don't disconnect the power. AC power is required to update. Taking out the power while the computer is updating the BIOS may render the computer inoperable.

The BIOS software is located here. You can run this and confirm if the current BIOS is outdated or up to date. Versions go from 1.0.0 to 1.1.3.

As to the wireless card itself, it is pretty straightforward to replace. Replacement cards can differ between $10-30. It may be more beneficial to purchase a USB wireless stick instead, for easy connectivity plus the added benefit you can use it on any computer if you need to in a pinch.

D

Deleted member 987176

Assuming that you can easily reach the wireless card through a small cover on the laptop bottom remove the card and carefully and firmly reinsert it. This will clean any corrosion of the contacts and make sure the adapter is secure. Also make sure that the antenna leads are secure. This operation is best done with the laptop unplugged and the battery removed.
To confirm, you downloaded this one?

View attachment 279118

There has been some complaints about the same card. Considering the computer is about 3 years old, it shouldn't have this issue, but it does sound like the wifi card is faulty.

One possible solution is to update the BIOS. Note: updating the BIOS is relatively safe, as long as you don't disconnect the power. AC power is required to update. Taking out the power while the computer is updating the BIOS may render the computer inoperable.

The BIOS software is located here. You can run this and confirm if the current BIOS is outdated or up to date. Versions go from 1.0.0 to 1.1.3.

As to the wireless card itself, it is pretty straightforward to replace. Replacement cards can differ between $10-30. It may be more beneficial to purchase a USB wireless stick instead, for easy connectivity plus the added benefit you can use it on any computer if you need to in a pinch.
The image you provided is the driver I downloaded and it successfully installed. However, once I ran the program you sent me, it gave me a message, (message is in the attached images). Is this fine, or?

Attachments

D

Deleted member 987176

So, is there a certain video you’d recommend me watching before doing this? I opened the bottom up and I see the battery and the WiFi adapter, but I don’t want to screw anything up.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The image you provided is the driver I downloaded and it successfully installed. However, once I ran the program you sent me, it gave me a message, (message is in the attached images).
That is strange indeed. Your computer model is not that old... You may have to do it via the boot menu screen when you start the machine (pressing F12 after you power the machine until you get the menu and then Flash Update). You will need to store the update file on an USB drive.

So, is there a certain video you’d recommend me watching before doing this? I opened the bottom up and I see the battery and the WiFi adapter, but I don’t want to screw anything up.
Here is the service manual of the machine. Here is a video that despite being a tool to remove the wireless network card, the author did not focus on the card. Note: There are so many different designs and this one is the closest I could find at short notice, though the location of the card is different the instructions are the same. Refer to the manual for the correct placement.

D

Deleted member 987176

That is strange indeed. Your computer model is not that old... You may have to do it via the boot menu screen when you start the machine (pressing F12 after you power the machine until you get the menu and then Flash Update). You will need to store the update file on an USB drive.
I’ll try that in a second. (Read below for more details).

Here is the service manual of the machine. Here is a video that despite being a tool to remove the wireless network card, the author did not focus on the card. Note: There are so many different designs and this one is the closest I could find at short notice, though the location of the card is different the instructions are the same. Refer to the manual for the correct placement.
I went ahead and removed it. I put it back in and screwed it in but I can’t get the white or black wires to fit on the card. I’m gonna keep trying. Just to be sure, I don’t need the wireless card to boot up F12 correct?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Correct, that is not part of the BIOS upgrade so you can leave the wires if needed.

As to the wires, they can be tricky... you will need to make sure they are flush and not in an angle to push them on. you may need something flat to help push them in.

D

Deleted member 987176

Correct, that is not part of the BIOS upgrade so you can leave the wires if needed.

As to the wires, they can be tricky... you will need to make sure they are flush and not in an angle to push them on. you may need something flat to help push them in.
I got the white wire to fit in, but the black one is giving me a lot of trouble. If I can’t get it tonight, I’m gonna try and give this to my universities IT. Apparently, they specialize in Dell.

As for the BIOS update, could you be a little more specific on what exactly I should do in the F12 menu?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When you are in the menu, it should have an option to do BIOS Flash Update. Once in there you will select the BIOS file to update. If you are going to the university IT department, they can also guide you through it.

D

Deleted member 987256

When you are in the menu, it should have an option to do BIOS Flash Update. Once in there you will select the BIOS file to update. If you are going to the university IT department, they can also guide you through it.
I got both wires down and it didn’t help, but I’ll update you with what comes back in the BIOS. Also, I have to have the flash file on a USB before any of this, correct? If that is so, where would I find this file?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I got both wires down and it didn’t help, but I’ll update you with what comes back in the BIOS. Also, I have to have the flash file on a USB before any of this, correct? If that is so, where would I find this file?
Assuming the defaults, should be in the Downloads folder if you saved the file and not run it straight away.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online