1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Toshiba M35 Satellite Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SergeantB, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite M35 laptop that continues to freeze. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have 1.5 GB of Ram and 80 GB Hitachi HDD. Because of the freezes, I replaced my hard drive, reinstalled factory OS with drivers, changed my battery, changed and upgraded my memory but as soon as I log on to Windows........it freezes. One thing I can say is that the first time I log on, it stays up for about 5 to 10 mins before it freezes. After, as soon as my profile gets up and running, freezes. I have enough time to move my cursor over to the start button and click on anything and it freezes.

I don't know what else to do. I have changed everything I am able and this thing does not want to stay up.

Have anyone heard of Toshiba having this problem? Please let me know the next step to take because I have exhausted all my resource thus far! :confused:

2. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

My mistake, the version of my laptop is M45 S331 not M35. Sorry about that.:eek:

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Reopening thread per request.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Overheating?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try using UBUNTU - see how that works for an hour or so running from the virtual CD
    copy some data onto a USB drive or thumb drive

try the network - just play and see if that freezes - as it sounds like a hardware issue on the PC
    as you have rebuilt XP and reloaded all the drivers

UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
    1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
    2) Install ubuntu
    3) Check CD for defects
    4) Test memory
    5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
    XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
    Vista look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

If you still have issues mounting the harddrive:
    On the main menu of Ubuntu, there's an option to Check CD for defects. I ran this and was able to mount the C Drive.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For future reference, when your thread doesn't get a response for 24 hours it tends to "fade from view." Reply yourself with "Bump" to bring it back to the top of the pile and maybe some fresh eyes will see it. Of course, if you have to bump a couple days in a row it's probable that nobody has any more ideas.

I like etaf's suggestion for trying another OS with a Live CD. If the size of the Ubuntu download is daunting you could try Puppy Linux, which is about 100MB.

I find it interesting that you were able to install XP and install the drivers--I trust the latest from Toshiba's web site--but now can't run more than 10 minutes. Try Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. If you don't get the freeze in this mode then the hardware is probably OK and it's probably some driver or software.

7. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

When I am in "Safe Mode", it doesn't freezes. I thought that if I reinstall the OS with drivers from the factory CD, it would be ok. Maybe the disc Toshiba mailed to me is faulty?????? I do have a linux boot cd that I can run on top of my system to see if it freezes. I also have Windows Ultimate Boot CD as well. I thought that I load a new version of XP and tried to download the drivers from Toshiba and it still freezes. Maybe the drivers are conflicting with something. I don't know. I will try the CD's to see.

8. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

I don't know if its overheating or not. Would it overheat in Safe Mode as well? When I am in Safe Mode, it doesn't freeze.

9. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

When I get home, I will try your suggestion with a Linux boot cd and Windows ultimate boot cd. Here's the question. If the laptop runs the other operating system without freezes..........what's next? I guess you will wait till I answer before you answer that huh?? :)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The lack of a problem in Safe Mode is indicating that you should consider drivers first and software second. Almost always a PC manufacturer has to fix one or more drivers after they have burned the initial Drivers CD. You may as well download (another computer or use Safe Mode with Networking) all the drivers Toshiba has for you and install them. Install the chipset drivers first. Save the downloads in case you do decide to reinstall Windows.

Same as my above paragraph. :)

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

It was closed. It's from 2009 ;)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; I was just suggesting the standard way to get attention after a day instead of waiting 3 months! :D

13. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

Gee guys, okay I know it wasn't smart waiting that long but then.....who said I was smart?:eek:

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

I resemble that! :D

No worries Sergeant :)

15. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

Guys, I was only kidding. I'm a Marine. Trust me, my feelings have been redirected years ago.:)

I updated the bios firmware and it hasn't freezed yet. aaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

My cd is not showing in bios but I am thinking that it is bad seeing that I had problems with it before it went bad.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice