1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop touchpad "tapping" keeps turning itself off....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garthfan0523, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garthfan0523

garthfan0523 Thread Starter

Argh. This is getting frustrating.

The "tapping" function on my Inspiron 9300's touchpad keeps getting intermittently disabled when I try to watch videos. It's very sporadic and I have, so far, been unable to determine any kind of set pattern or commonality between the times that it happens. The only thing that is for sure is that it only happens when I am attempting to watch videos. i.e., YouTube, CNN, MySpace, etc.

When it happens, I have to go to Control Panel > Mouse > Touchpad and then de-select "Tapping" (yes, it is always still selected even when apparently disabled) and then re-select it and click OK.

The left and right "mouse" buttons below the touchpad are never affected nor is the ability to move the pointer around the screen using the touchpad.

Help? Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: I should have mentioned that I did uninstall the driver and reinstall an updated one from Dell directly. Also, I just discovered today that I actually don't have to deselect the tapping tick-box and then reselect it as I originally thought. All I have to do is open up the Mouse Properties under the Control Panel and simply click OK to close it again. Works every time.

BUT, why is this happening???

2. garthfan0523

bump

Anyone? Thanks!

3. garthfan0523

One last friendly bump. Anyone? I've been unable to find any info about this problem and really need it to stop. Please read all details in first post.

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice