1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop turning off by itself & Short Drive Self-Test Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leannz0r, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leannz0r

Leannz0r Thread Starter

Hi.. I have been having problems for a while with my laptop just turning off by itself.. It just completely shuts off, doesn't do the shut down process and doesn't restart.
    Before it was occasionally and usually only when laptop was idle, but the past week it is doing it constantly, to point it's unusable.
    I checked the power settings, all is fine. I have used it plugged in and unplugged and plugged in with the battery taken out, still does it, so I've ruled out the battery.
    I checked for viruses, no problems there.
    I restored windows to see if that would solve the issue but for some reason that failed at the end, so then I had no operating system installed.. I reinstalled a clean copy of windows but still doing the same thing.
    (I left the computer on for long periods of time when windows wasn't installed and it never shut down once, don't know if that means anything..)
    I took the bottom off the laptop and gave the fan a little clean just incase it was overheating, although the laptop doesn't get really hot so I don't think it is that.

I ran a quick test in Hardware Diagnositcs and:
    'Short Drive Self-Test failed - U0DXJ4-75799E-XD7WMF-60R813

From a google search and some help I had from a few people I understand that means my hard drive is failing?

I want to know if anyone has any idea what could be causing my laptop to be turning off and is it likely to be the hard drive causing it to do that?
    I felt for sure it was the hard drive after doing the test but I've since been told by a friend that they don't think the hard drive would cause that problem.

Also, if it's not the hard drive, how urgent is it really to replace the hard drive? Once failing, do they die quickly or am I best the just wait until it finally conks?

Just trying to save money right now, hoping to solve this without taking it to a repair tech.. but looks like I'm going to have to.

HP Notebook-15-ac153sa (ENERGY STAR)
    Product number: P0U73EA

So sorry for the REALLY long post! Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! upload_2018-11-7_19-34-25.gif

Leanne

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    A bad hard disk can easily cause your laptop to crash and turn off. There are certain apps out there that claim that they can re-map the bad sectors. However, I've never actually seen it work. You'll probably be best off by changing the hdd. Something you'll have to do as soon as possible as the drive definitely is dying.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. Leannz0r

Leannz0r Thread Starter

Thank you very much, Fireflycph

Managed, I had a lot of help on the HP forum from somebody who has given me great advice and helped me understand hard drives and which I should pick.
    I haven't ordered yet as I was hoping to find out if the laptop shutting down might be a different cause or caused by the hdd.. funds are tight and if it isn't the hdd that is causing it then I was hoping I could wait to replace the hdd until it totally dies and concentrate on what is causing the shutting down problem.

I have been told that posting in more than one place can be considered rude, if so, I apologise and please somebody delete my post >.<

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    No need to apologise now but it's a good idea to put a link to another website that's helping you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice