Laptop turns itself off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Page3

My 5-year old Toshiba laptop has turned itself off three times in the last three weeks, and the track pad felt very hot. How can I tell if the fan is broken, what would be the estimated cost of a repair, and would it be best to buy a new computer?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 463563 MB, Free - 351849 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NALAA
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

repairman

Tom
A hot track pad is not a good sign. Do you keep the laptop from sitting on a cushion or anything else that would prevent it from getting a good airflow?
Laptops can be a bother to fix and with the prices of them today it is a good question whether to repair or buy a new one.
Since this problem isn't every day I'm inclined to think it is an airflow problem since a broken fan would allow the laptop to overheat quickly every time it was on for more than 10 minutes. Also, have you checked the air vents to make sure there is nothing clogging them?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You should be able to hear and feel the fan while it's running.

You can also buy a can of compressed air and blow out all the vents on the laptop, even a small amount of dust or hair can cause the laptop to overheat.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online