1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop turns off a few minutes after startup in WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaro, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaro

jaro Thread Starter

I have an Acer TravelMate 8204 laptop running Windows XP with the latest updates. I usually put the machine into hibernate rather than shutting it down. A few weeks ago, it developed a problem where it would occasionally freeze coming out of hibernate (at the end of the screen with the ASCII progress bar). I could just delete the saved information and start up normally, though.

Then, this weekend I started getting blue screens with error code 0x00000024 during startup. I believe this occurred at the screen with the Windows XP logo. I search online and found the suggestion to boot into the recovery console and run chkdsk /r, which I did. Chkdsk reported finding and fixing one or more errors.

Now, however, when I try to boot the computer it shuts itself down a few minutes after I turn it on. I have looked around online and seen that some notebooks may do this when they start to overheat. I believe the first thing I need to do is figure out whether this is happening to me. I tried touching the surface or the machine and it is indeed pretty hot, but I'm not sure what it felt like before. But what I do know is that the computer happily stayed up for a couple hours running chkdsk and I can boot into the very old version of Ubuntu that's installed on the machine without the shutdowns happening as well. I doubt that I ever configured Ubuntu well enough to have it use all the fancy features of my motherboard.

So my question is, I think, would the overheating protection be a function of just my hardware, or would it only happen when I'm running an operating system that's configured to take advantage of that protection (which my Linux and the recovery console are presumably not). Also, are there any logs that I can look at to determine if my computer is indeed shutting down due to temperature? I poked around in Event Viewer and didn't see anything, but I also don't know quite what I'm looking for (and I have only limited time before the computer shuts down).

One additional piece of evidence is that the computer seems to stay up a little longer if I'm using it after a long break than if I turn it back on as soon as it turns off. But I am not eager to repeat either of these, especially the latter, enough times to get a good-sized sample.

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

perhaps there is a problem with the thermostat... which would cause it to shut off... although i don't see why the ubuntu wouldn't shut off too seeing at the overheat shut off isn't triggered by the os... but I digress i would check the bios to see if you can either turn up the shut off temp or turn it off if either of these produce any abnormal results(something better than it was) i would have it looked at

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!