1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop turns off, shortly after turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrovamp, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Gateway M-6851

I start up the laptop, and at different times up to 3 mins later, and as early as 30 seconds later it shuts off.

It doesnt matter if im starting up windows or in bios setup it shuts off.
    my only clue is that after a long period of not trying it, If I start it up then, I get the longest powered-on times, and shorter every time after that.

That leads me to believe it is a heat problem.
    Another note, is that this gateway has always had heat issues, a single fan to cool everything
    Before this happened, while using the computer, it maxes out the fan speed and then reduces the power to compensate, which even though this computer can run some good games, about 3 mins into the game or less the framerate gets cut from 45 to 9 usually along those lines.

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions, could it be something else that doesn't involve removing the heatsink and fan and applying new thermal compound, or should I probably just do that and see where I'm at.

Also if anyone knows of a quick bootable heat monitor program, that would probably work.
    The bios is very bare no temp listing, and even in windows I could only see the temps, never control the fans.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1116549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice