Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop turns right back on after shutdown

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  treymoney 
#1 ·
Ok here is an interesting problem. A couple weeks back my laptop started having issues turning off. Everytime I went to shutdown, it would shutdown, but then it would immediately turn back on like I told it to restart. It would run normally once started. So to "solve" this problem I would unplug it when all the lights went out before it began to restart. I thought I had a good temporary fix, but yesterday the ac adapter went out(light on it is still on but I cant get a voltage reading at the output end). So I change to another ac adapter and the laptop boots fine and runs fine, but still has the shutdown problem.
The battery on it still works and would charge on the old ac adapter until it quit, and it charges off the new one as well.
One thought I had after reading some forums of people with similar problems was that the CMOS battery could be dead.

Dell inspiron 600m

#2 ·
The usual symptom with a faulty CMOS battery is it refuses to start and gives a message to go into the Bios setup and reset the date etc. so I doubt that's the problem here.

Does it shut down properly if you start it in Safe Mode ? (tap F8 key after switch on to get the Safe Mode menu and press Enter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.