1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop/tv interface having trouble. I need some help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimflint1, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimflint1

jimflint1 Thread Starter

I'm running my wife's Lenovo laptop, which has been connected to an LG tv (at least 10 years old) for a couple of years with no trouble. The laptop is running Windows 10, which I am not very good at. I have Windows 7 on my PC, which is what I mostly use.
    Anyway she has Avast Pro Antivirus on hers and the user interface keeps coming on the screen too large, meaning you can't see the Settings tab at the bottom, nor can you see the X to close the program if you don't want to run it. I've been having to get into Task Manager to close it.
    So I wanted to get it working to where she could just X out of Avast if she wanted to and I went into display settings and changed them. The resolution had been set at the recommended setting and the percentage had been set at 125 when 100 was recommended. Or it might have been 100 when 125 was recommended. Anyway I changed first the resolution to a new setting and tried that, didn't like it so I changed it back to its original setting. Then I tried the percentage and didn't like that, so I changed it back to what it was. Then I tried both together and decided to go back to original settings on both. By original, I mean what it was before I began tinkering with it today.
    But something happened somewhere in that process, even though the setting are now what they were before I began messing with it. Now the display on the laptop screen is fine, but on the tv it's connected to, it's shifted to the left to where you can't see the left edge of the screen, including the back button, and when the windows are closed, you can't see the power button to turn off the computer.
    This wasn't happening before I began trying to fix the Avast interface problem, and even though I've returned the settings to what they were, now I'm having this off-centered issue, but only on the tv screen--and I haven't even touched the tv settings.
    Any thoughts?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just change the resolution again and see what happens on the TV.

3. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Windows 10 has Windows Defender. It doesn't need Avast. Just uninstall it.

plodr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice