Laptop unable to access internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nilmerf

I am running a month old laptop with Windows XP Home. At first, connection to the internet through a wireless linksys router worked fine. But after we upgraded our internet from normal cable to high-speed cable.. connection to the internet worked fine for 2 desktop computers and another laptop running wireless in the house.. but not for the new laptop.

It says it IS connected to the internet, and several kilobytes of memory have been exchanged.. but IE will not load any websites, and connecting to the internet using programs such as MSN Messenger does not work. I have even been able to access a dial-up ISP, but with the same results.

I have tried flushing the DNS cache, reinstalling the TCP/IP, returning to a previous restore point, turning on and off firewalls, deleting all cookies and temporary internet files, switching from automatic to manual in various applications, but none of it works. I transfered programs such as Ad-Aware SE, AVG Anti-Virus, and HiJackThis via CD burning from my other computer.. but they do not come up with anything out of the ordinary.

Any more suggestions? Thanks.

First, are you still connecting through your router?
If so, double check that it is in fact a router, and not a switch or hub by mistake. If you're running a wireless setup, I'm pretty sure it's not, but you just want to be safe and check the easy things first.

Next things, is your laptop (the one that isn't working) connecting through wireless, or through ethernet? If it's going through wireless, try connecting through ethernet and see if it works then.

If you're connecting through ethernet and it isn't working, try the following:
1. Go to your command prompt (Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" (without the quotes)).
2. Type ipconfig

What is your IP address? What is the default gateway address?

Ok, now that you have those two, go to a computer that is working, and do the same thing.
What's the IP address from this one? The gateway addy should stay the same.

Now the two IP addresses should be identical except for the last octect (it'll usually be something like 192.168.1.x, with the x being different for each computer).

If they are the same, except for that last part (represented by the x above), then from the laptop that isn't working, try pinging the gateway address you got earlier.
To ping, go back to your command prompt and just type in "ping", put a space, and then type in that gateway addy from above.

You should get four responses back. It'll usually say something like "Reply from" or "Request Timed Out" or maybe an error message.

Post back the above info (the IP addresses, gateway addy, and the response you got from the ping).

Nilmerf

Hi, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I am away for the holidays and will be back tomorrow morning. I brought the laptop with me, and the house that I am at has a dial-up connection.. which I have been trying to access. So there is no router, and no wireless connection.. just one phone jack which I have been alternating between this computer and my laptop.

I connected to the Net Shop from my laptop and inputted the ipconfig command.

IP Address: 207.102.49.111
Default Gateway: 207.102.49.111

I then disconnected and switched the connection to this working computer.

IP Address: 207.102.49.131
Default Gateway: 207.102.49.131

Obviously because this is dial-up the suffix number will switch everytime. When pinging myself with the laptop, the request timed out.. and when pinging myself on this computer.. there was a quick response.

I would like to be able to access the internet from here before I get home, and I am under the assumption that there is no problem with any connections here or there.. just my laptop.

Ok, so you know it's the laptop specifically, and nothing else then. You're getting a good IP address also. What happens if you ping 127.0.0.1?

Nilmerf

Okay I'm back home now and trying to access the internet through the wireless connection. Different results this time.

IP Address:

Default Gateway:

Pinging the default gateway works, pinging the IP address times out, and pinging 127.0.0.1 does work.

What could the problem be?

Nilmerf

By checking the event viewer, it seems I have the same two error messages every time I try to access the internet.

Error: 0x80072751 Socket operation attempted to unreachable host.

And then another error which says no time sources are currently available, and no attempt to contact will be made for 15 minutes.

So pinging the default gateway, DNS servers, and 127.0.0.1 all WORK. But pinging my own IP address does NOT work. All of this combined with these two error messages should form some sort of solution. Anyone care to show me? It's killing me!

Nilmerf

Son of a..

Well I solved the problem. It turns out Norton Internet Security was preventing me from going on the internet. I thought I had tried turning firewalls off but maybe it slipped by me. It seems Windows Firewall from the new SP2 is in conflict with Norton's firewall.. any suggestion as to which one is better?

Hey, glad you got it figured out. :)

I would say Norton is probably much better personally. Has a lot more functionality from what I've seen. I'd probably stick with that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online