1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop unable to connect to my home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wgreene, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Why is it that I am able to connect my laptop to my home network, but my cousin is unable to connect his laptop to the same network? He and I have both been unsuccessful in trying to make a connection with his laptop. We were very careful to enter the correct information -- Security Type; Encryption Type; and Security key/passphrase -- so I cannot understand why his laptop won't connect, especially since entering the same info allowed my laptop to connect. Obviously, there is some other reason why we've failed thus far. Could it be that we're missing a vital step in the process? At one point I unplugged my router for 20 seconds and plugged it back in. Obviously, that didn't work.:confused::confused::confused:

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to help. Thank you.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe you are using MAC Address filtering on the router to prevent him connecting.

Maybe you are using WEP encryption with an ascii passcode and his computer/adapter translate it differently than the router does.

Maybe you are using an encryption type on the router that his adapter does not support.

Maybe there is a bug in his wireless driver and he needs to get the latest driver update.

Maybe he has a non-Windows firewall preventing connection.

Maybe he has a more general problem and can't even connect by ethernet.

After you check out these matters please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. And show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll soon get around to checking out your suggestions.

For what it's worth, I'll add a little more background information.

For several months my cousin had been able to connect, trouble-free, to my home network.. The current problem arose only a few weeks ago.

My cousin has a Win 7 laptop. Mine is Vista.

I'll update soon. Thanks again.

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Also, my cousin has no trouble connecting at other locations. This problem occurs only with my home network. Perhaps that narrows the list of possible solutions.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ahh, that's good additional information.

Sometimes the encryption between router and computer just gets "out of sync." A quick fix is to disable encryption on the router, connect, re-enable encryption and reconnect. My daughter had to do this with her new netbook just a couple weeks ago.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Regarding re-enabling encryption, does that simply mean holding in the router reset button for at least 10 seconds while unplugging and replugging the router? If so, I'm curious to know if that would necessitate a change to a new Security key/passphrase, and also if my network name would revert to default?

Thanks again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wasn't suggesting a reset to factory default settings. Just login to the router, set the encryption (or security) mode to 'none' or 'off' or whatever. To re-enable it just set it back to whatever it is now and if you don't change the key or passphrase you'll still have the same one.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice