1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arrow72, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arrow72

arrow72 Thread Starter

I am looking to upgrade my desktop computer running windows XP to a new laptop. However, I have had numerous problems with virus' and malware with this Microsoft operating system despite trying various protection software. Therefore, I am leary about getting another computer with windows software.
    I use the computer to do grant writing, research the internet and listen to music. I am thinking about a Chromebook based on their hype about being safe from virus' and malware. However, I am concerned about having most of my data "in the cloud" which I don't really understand. Do I need to buy a new printer to print from the cloud? Is it safe and easily used?
    I also don't want to spend over $400-$500.
    I would appreciate any comments from your much more savy tech experts.
    Thanks!
    arrow72

2. trogdo

trogdo

Chromebook is more or less a notebook with a browser and a handful of apps on it. If as you say all you want to do is write, research and listen to music, then it will do all that fine. However, with all your stuff being in the cloud (basically on a hard drive that is many miles away), you will need a decent internet connection to be able to access it all swiftly. Thinking of it, you can keep your files on an SD card or a USB drive. As for your old printer, it doesn't need any extra functionality, just as long as it connects to your laptop, it will work.

3. renegade600

renegade600

a chromebook would work based on what you said your needs are. It may be a bit slower, the graphics may not be as good, and you will have to learn some new software/apps but you would be able to do everything you mentioned. you can store your work in the cloud or use usb drives (including harddrives). If you have an android smartphone, it would be a lot like that but with chrome operating system.

another option is to get a windows laptop, then install linux on it. It would be safe and secure too. Linux works a lot like windows just without the need to get security software - at this time.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless you've already made up your mind about switching to a laptop/notebook, you might consider a refurbished Windows 7 desktop at:

www.overstock.com

www.newegg.com

You can buy a decent one with plenty of horsepower and hard drive space for about $300.00.

I've been buying them for about 3 years, and I've been happy with all of them.

We don't know what your computer experience is and what your computing habits and practices are, so that may account for your numerous problems with viruses, malware, spyware, etc..

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. jamesx121

jamesx121

I have run in to people who heard about Jail Breaking their phone being bad when the original IPHONE 1 came out---
    they then assumed that running updates on their phone was the same as Jail Breaking it--which is not the case---

running updates from Microsoft or Apple is a good thing....... you have to want to Jail Break a phone to accomplish that---
    ask people when the last time they have run Windows Update--they say never----looking at bunch plus service packs to
    instal---
    Updates from the O/S source is a good thing// helps with keeping out Virus & Malware
    wether a desktop//laptop or a phone
    James

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice