1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Janaid, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

I was looking into maybe upgrading my laptop from 512mb of RAM to 1024 mb of RAM. I have found that while im playing some games such as half life 2 the graphics seem to be a bit sluggish. It is probably because I have a 64mb intergrated Intel graphics card....will extra ram actually help my situation? If so how much will it cost to buy in the UK?

Spec:

Toshiba Satellite A30
    3.02ghz Intel P4 processor
    512mb RAM
    64mb intel intergrated graphics
    40gb hard disk

2. Rockn

Rockn

That would be a graphics card problem/limitation and not your system memory. It would probably make little or no difference in your situation.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    This is going by the model PSA33E-72KX3-EN (Check the bottom of your machine for yours). I'm assuming its the same build though.

Maximum memory you can put in there is 2Gb. In the UK, I've come up with prices of £59, £115 and £312 for 256Mb, 512Mb and 1Gb respectively. The part numbers are PA3311U, PA3312U and PA3313U. I would suggest Technoworld in London (020 8200 2000). They usually have the better prices. Note that you really need a maximum of 3Gb, wether it's from the RAM or RAM + Virtual Memory. You should also make a seperate drive for the VM so the machine doesn't have to fight for the hard drive.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ram won't help with the video card situation. You are already maxed out at 64MB on the Intel graphics chip, and its a very sad excuse for a video controller to begin with. There's very little you can do to improve your gaming performance.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it says it can go to 128Mb.. unless I'm reading it wrong.

6. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, think its safe to say that my graphics chip is crap lol, never mind, thanks for the help guys, take care

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well, pretty much for gaming at least :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice