1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop very slow after factory reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stubee1988, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stubee1988

Stubee1988 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I recently got my old gaming laptop repaired (it has a dodgy charging port that has broken 3 times now). It had been sitting gathering dust for over a year but i fancied playing Pillars of eternity.

Got the thing repaired and decided to do a factory reset as it was full of crap i don't use and wanted to start from scratch. However, after the reset everything seems incredibly slow and unresponsive. Ive run various virus checkers and programs to check the memory and hdd but everything comes up fine? I'm not sure what else to look at.
    Curiously, games (such as Pillars of Eternity or Chivalry) seem to run fine but have unbearable load times.
    If anyone has an idea of what to do next i would greatly appreciate it.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Stubee1988

Hi,

Its a Medion Erazer x6811

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4012 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, 1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 547911 MB, Free - 373555 MB; D: Total - 61439 MB, Free - 1318 MB;
    Motherboard: MEDION, X681X
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the info.

How exactly did you do the restore ?

Any problems in Device Manager ?

5. Stubee1988

I used the recovery partition and chose the option not to keep any data. No problems in device manager, all drivers up to date and nothing shows as unknown.

I dud notice something yesterday. Whenever i downloaded a file in chrome, steam would stop downloading and say "busy writing to disk"? Not seen that before, not sure if it's relevant.

6. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Stubee1988,

Great job with the malware scan. I would suggest running a brand specific diagnostics tool on your HDD and posting the SMART status here after the extended test. Just to be on the safe side you could back all the important data up (if you do not have a back up set up yet :) ).
    Other than that I would suggest taking a look in resource manager in order to see what is using your hard drive and to what extent. It could be a background program that is running wild (anti-virus programs can sometimes get in such moods).
    If that does not help, well, we should start testing all the rest of your components. First off, I would run a stress test to see how the different parts hold up (do post your temperatures), followed by a memory test.
    If you boot in safe mode how is the system acting?
    At this point you could either strip down the machine to its essentials or do a fresh install. As this is not necessarily a hardware problem I would suggest doing the fresh install ;).

Hope it helps,
    Frost_WD

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I notice your D drive is nearly full, see if you can make some more free space on it. What is on the D drive ?

8. trogdo

trogdo

Just chiming in, and pointing yet another finger at the hard drive. It's probably on its last legs.

If it were some process writing/reading data, that would drop your gaming performance as the CPU will be engaged in data transfer. Seeing as there is no drop, and the load times are long, I think it's time for a new HDD.

9. Stubee1988

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran the HDD and memiry testers. Memory came back fine and SMART scan says HDD was ok. However i tried to run a stress test on the HDD and it took over 24hrs to get to 20%!

Think it may be fine for a new hdd? At least i can replace that myself.

10. trogdo

trogdo

Just bear in mind that a new HDD will not have the recovery partition on it, which means you will have to clone the drive (which may be troublesome, considering the fault with the old HDD may make this a painfully long endeavour) or find another source for the Windows installation. You can either buy an installation/recovery DVD somewhere, or find an ISO image and 'burn' it onto a DVD or a USB stick.

11. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Stubee1988,

Could you post a screenshot of your drives SMART data? If the drive is acting up there is bound to have a clue in it. Also can you hear some odd sounds coming from it?
    As trogdo suggested you could clone the drive, however, I strongly recommend going for a fresh install of your OS. With a clone you transfer all errors, unneeded data and malware (if there is any). Furthermore, a fresh install provides a faster, more responsive system :).
    If your laptop came with the OS installed, you can contact Microsoft and ask them for an activation key restore. That way you can transfer the OS with the help of a system restore image and the restore tool.

Hope it helps,
    Frost_WD

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice