Laptop -> VGA Input?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adblink182

is there anyway to use the VGA port on the back of a laptop as in input? I want to use it as second monitor for my desktop PC, or buy a vga to RCA adapter and run my gamecube off of it

is it possible? (its a Compaq Presairo v2310 laptop)

Nope -

this is the list of the extrnal ports from a v2310US

3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 headphone-out
1 microphone-in
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 TV-Out (S-video)
1 RJ-11 (modem)
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
1 notebook expansion port 2
1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)

The only way i can see this working in the slightest is using a software based solution and having the laptop and desktop on a network and then doing something like this -

http://www.maxivista.com/

I never have used this software before and don't know whats required to make it work though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You could pick up a USB video capture device, but I think you'd be disappointed in the quality of the display if you want it as a secondary display. If you shop around, you can pick up a 17" CRT for $50 or less on a rebate, which would be a far better performing option.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online