1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kid23, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kid23

Kid23 Thread Starter

My question is for my laptop a AW M5550 it has a removable nvidia go7600 256Mb. Can i find a replacement anywhere other then alienware, due to them wanting me to pay to ship it to them to replace it for me then charge me for a card I could find online. I don't see why I couldnt find one and replace it by taking the 7 screws off of it to remove and replace it.
    The laptop has 13 months of use under its belt, far less then I expect the self proclamed power house pc companys' product to last.

I run Vista 32 home premium

2. Kid23

Kid23 Thread Starter

I did much research only to find, Yes I can replace the broken video card with another thanks to Nvidias'
    video card slot called MXM only issue is NO ONE SELLS THEM. I can get a broken dell laptop for ~$700 and hope it has a mxm card, or alienwares completley assinine idea of purchasing a laptop with a new video card in it :) that one made me laugh when the guy told me that was an option. I was also told to surf ebay to try to find a replacement. Also mxm upgrades website does not carry a series II mxm card so im sol there also. I wish if i was a company lets say a car company that when my tires went bald i had to buy a new car. reading nvidias webpage about this newer technology called mxm it claims that it will give the consumer more flexability to upgrade when needed. if i put this laptop in the closet i bet in 2 years when more cards fail i can get a replacement but until then it looks liek i go mobil no more.

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

I don't think you can don't that, laptop video cards are not upgradeable, and its very hard to find the stores or online that they have one, I assume they don't.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most laptops do not have upgradeable video, it is built into the motherboard.

But the top end Dell and Alienware do have replaceble modules.

The demand would be so low that (as you have found) nobody would ever stock them, they probably only exist in Dell and AW parts bins. It's not as if you can use them on any laptop, it's a very very small market.

5. Kid23

Kid23 Thread Starter

To the third post, yes my AW laptop has a completly removable video card called mxm. I am working with AW to see what can be done, if i need to pay for it to get shipped and fixed or if i can just pay them for a new card. Lately many other top end laptops have joined the mxm family to include sony viao and i thought i seen an hp with a 6600 mxm card. Im sure the industry will catch up with in a year or two i hope. I wonder if i can just get a better card to replace this one. thats an entirely new idea to grasp, upgrading a video card on a laptop that has a seperate pci 16x slot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice