1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Video Connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ph3n0m, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ph3n0m

ph3n0m Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. So please be patient. I Troubleshoot a lot of Laptops. Now I already know that if the machine powers on but there is no video on the internal LCD to hook up and external monitor and if I get video the problem is some where between the onboard graphics adapter and that if there is no video on the external monitor that will tell me whether the onboard graphics have failed.

Here is my question, and tell me if this makes any sense al all. I have encountered laptops that do not have and form of video out.

My question is. Lets say thatI have a known good LCD pulled from a laptop. Is there available for purchase and adapter kit to be able to hook my known good LCD to many different manufacturers laptops for testing purposes. Or is there some way I could build something like this myself.

Thanks in advance for and reply's. [​IMG]

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is what the external monitor plug is on laptops.
    Also any none CRT monitor is just an LCD screen.
    If you were to take a modern LCD based monitor apart - and this is definitely NOT recommended - you would find a transformer and rectifier to drop the mains to 5v and 12v DC and a standard LCD panel that is likely to be common to many makes of Laptop as well as LCD monitors.
    see: http://www.avforums.com/threads/list-of-lcd-panel-manufactures-the-panel-behind-the-brand.815307/

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I've never seen a laptop with no video port.
    [​IMG]

Even an old laptop purchased in the 90's has an S-video port. I think it was black rather than yellow.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Laptops have a lot of different cables going to their screens and the connectors at the motherboard end are many and varied.It would be impractical to even attempt to make an adapter for them all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice