Laptop (vista) : Cannot detect my wireless network.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TouchGeneration

Hi there! =] new to the forums!!
=[ My laptop has stopped detecting my wireless home network. Before this happened, my laptop was going a-hole on me. It would stopped connecting and then I would have to connect it again via password..but now it has done it! This dam laptop =___=. . . Anyways, there are two computers in my house and they can connect to the internet through the ethernet cable. My laptop can also connect the internet through the ethernet cable too..but that really beats the purpose of having a laptop if it's not mobile >_>. SO PLEASE help me.

Oh yea, my laptop can detect like 10 other friggen networks but not my own =.=

:(

"my laptop can detect like 10 other ...networks but not my own"

This would suggest more a problem with the wireless radio on the router and not your computer.
Have you checked the router to see if SSID broadcast is turned on?

TouchGeneration

How do I check my SSID broadcast? .. the router is from Shaw. sorry x.x ''wireless" "power" "cable" "traffic" "LAN 2,3,4" are lighted up XD if that helps xD...the only ones that arent lighted up are "diag" "WPS" and "LAN 1"

Could give better instructions if I knew the exact make/mode;l of the modem.

You would need to access the GUI (user interface) of the modem. this is best done with an ethernet connection by typing the modem's IP address into your browser and hit Enter.
You may need to enter a user name and password.
Navigate to the Wireless setup pages. Should be settings to turn on the radio and SSID broadcast.

If you can find the modem's IP address by running an ipconfig /all while connected by ethernet. It will be the number after "Default Gateway".

To open a command Prompt wWndow:

Hold the key with the windows logo down and hit R to open a Run box. Type CMD and click OK
This will get a Command Prompt window.

Type the following command and hit enter.

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online