1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop - Vista - Very slow on internet & even media player is slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by smaulpaul, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smaulpaul

smaulpaul Thread Starter

hi all,

it's been a long time since I have had to post something about my problems in these forums. Well over a year as I have had my laptop for over a year now. This may seem like a similar thread to most that have been put up recently but I think it is quite different.

Ever since I have upgraded to IE8 I have noticed Vista be very slow. It could be to do with IE8 but I think that the slowness of my machine has been since before then...according to my wife. Has her facebook shennanegans broken the laptop???! ;)

Here is a list of problems I am getting:

• Long start up times. They aren't bothering me that much, just seem to be a bit longer than normal.
    • Very long time from when Vista has loaded and I can actually do somehting (15 minutes just now to access an mp3 on my desktop and it kept skipping for about 5 minutes before it stops skipping and playing the track normally)
    • Extremely slow at logging onto the internet. I mean that it takes minutes, literally minutes for IE8 to even display the very first internet page. After that it is slow, but not as bad...still frustrating though.
    • Changing between programs seems to take a few seconds.
    • Accessing my computer or my documents is like a game of russian roulette, will it let me or won't it.....£900 on it won't!!!!
    • On mp3 tracks, if you go back to a certain point in the track it will take a few seconds to actually complete the task

I have about 26gig free on my hard drive. But about 80 gig is used up for photo's as I am trying to be a photographer. I don't want to be losing these but also haven't got 80gigs worth of dvd's to back them up.

Can anyone point out some tips to help speed up my system. I hope it's not a hijack this type thing as part of me feels guilty cos I only contribute a little to the forums (usually in the photography section).

any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks.

2. joeten

joeten

hi my first instinct is to get your self an external hdd and transfer your files folders etc to it then visit the folks in security and hijack if nothing else lets rule out any possibity of infection. when you upgraded to ie8 was it still in beta, what av and firewall are you using. have you run your av, can windows update same for windows defender, i know its a lot of questions but the answers could be helpfull

3. peterpickles

peterpickles

You could also try Vista's built in Utils
    Check your hard drive for errors
    Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
    Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.
    To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    Then try defragmenting your hard drive
    Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Disk Defragmenter.
    Next Try seeing what is running on startup using MSCONFIG
    1.Click on the Vista start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
    2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results
    On the startup tab disable only those programs that you recognize and don't need to have running all the time.
    Run an antivirus program and also check for spyware
    Good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice