1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop volume problem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 77john77, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 77john77

77john77 Thread Starter

I have a toshiba Satelite laptop. The volume is very low and I decided to put on a pair of external speakers plugged into the headset receptical. The volume is no louder. When I remove the speakers the computer sound is so low I can't hear it. Any ideas?

Thanks, John

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you checked all the controls? Make sure to check all the controls in the Mixer settings and Sound applet. Check any volume settings for the speakers that may be in the input section, too.

Did you use powered speakers? The earphone jack has a very low output, sometimes even with a resistor across the terminals to prevent ear damage.

Trying to drive unpowered speakers on the jack can overheat and possibly burn out the sound circuits.

3. 77john77

77john77 Thread Starter

The speakers I plugged in are powered. They are logitech S120 speakers. I went into the speaker control panel and set all controls to max. Don't know what else to do.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even with powered speakers you couldn't hear it? Then there must be something wrong with the sound circuit if all else is all right.

Have you checked Device Manager for problems? Is the coorect device chosen in the Sound applet for your output device?

I have Logitech speakers powered by USB and on my Satellite and they are as loud as a stereo system. Are they powered by an adapter or USB?

Is this a new problem or has it always been like this? Have you installed anything sound-related?

5. 77john77

77john77 Thread Starter

I looked in the device manager but really don't know what to look for.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice