1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop vs water

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johno_84, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johno_84

johno_84 Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if any one could help me with a little problem. My son tipped water over my laptop. I quickly took the battery and then tried to get all the water out and then place it in a bag of rice. I left it for a couple of days and now it won't start. The turn on switch will go on and then it goes off. Nothing else is responding. Is this the sign that I will need to make a insurance claim, or it can be saved? I really need the contents off the hard drive. How can I get the stuff off.

Sorry for the million questions

2. pvc_

pvc_

You could take out the hard drive and connect it to your new computer using an adapter to transfer your old data to your new computer. You can do a search for the adapter or maybe someone else knows a brand they can recommend.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You can use a usb sata/ ide connector to try to get what you want to save from the drive provided it didnt get soaked to bad and ruined.as far as the rest of the computer the water may have ruined other things like the board which sometimes isnt going to be cheap to replace.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds bad. Once the water is gone, of course, it leaves behind all the minerals and substances that were in the water, often shorting boards and wreaking general havoc. The machine couldn't be trusted to keep running even if you somehow got it going again. Insurance time.

If the hard drive didn't get wet, you may be able to follow the above advice. But it doesn't take much moisture to send a drive to heaven, either.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Hopefully you will be able to salvage anything important from the drive and then have the computer properly disposed of by a computer repair place so it just doesnt get thrown in the trash which isnt a good idea.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1079040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice