1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop webcam randomly not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clcliff, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:29 PM.

1. clcliff

clcliff Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model X510UA
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

ASUS Vivobook

New to the forum because this has been driving me crazy. So I bought my laptop in 2017 and used the webcam just fine for maybe a year or a little over that. But now it barely works, and when I load it up it says the Webcam is disconnected from the computer (Code 45). The webcam is hidden in device manager, and when I look at properties it again tells me it's disconnected. But what's weird is if I wait a few minutes or refresh it like a madman, it starts working and in another few minutes stops again. Another odd thing is that my webcam is built-in but it shows up at USB 2.0 VGA UVC webcam. Version 10.0.18362.1 of the driver and when I scan it says drivers are up to date.

Tried updating drivers of course, this regedit trick, sfc /scannow in command prompt, and everything I can find on the internet. And since yesterday when I run the camera app it's been flashing between "we can't find your camera" and "camera is being used by another app".

I need this webcam for a university project next week and am panicking. What else can I try?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 5:21 PM
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The registry from cnet is meant for Win 10 version 1607. Type 'winver' at the Start menu and see what version of Win 10 you are running. If it is not 1607 then remove / undo that reg edit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice