1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop (wifi Internet w/ethernet facility) connect to PC through CAT5 cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amanjsingh, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amanjsingh

amanjsingh Thread Starter

Greetings!

I have an internet connection which is distributed through a wireless router. I use my laptop's (which also has a LAN adapter) WiFi to connect to that router. I have a PC too which only has LAN adapter but not the Wireless adapter.

Unfortunately I cannot wire my place as the router is in my housemate's room. I have network cables though to connect my PC and my laptop. Can I access Internet on my PC using connection between my laptop and PC and my laptop being connected to the Internet via WiFi?

I have DHCP enabled on my WiFi laptop. I am not sure what do I need to do and if I need to give static IP's to all the computers?

Thanks,
    AJ
    PS - I can access the router settings and I can change those settings unless it hampers my other house-mates to use the Internet.

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

Why not just get a PCI wireless card for your desktop?

3. amanjsingh

Yea, I had thought about that but then I have wires and a hub with me already. You can say I not inclined to buy that if there is a solution for this. Thanks for the reply.

4. Gnomad

Gnomad

You could setup Internet connection sharing on the laptop. Does it have XP or Vista installed?

5. amanjsingh

Laptop:
    Windows XP
    WIreless with DHCP
    Available LAN adapter for wired networking set up as DHCP

Desktop:
    Red Hat Linux.
    Wireless not available
    LAN adapter avialable setup as DHCP

thanks a tonn

AJ

6. amanjsingh

Ok the problem was that my router was already using the local network address as 192.168.0.1. Had to change it because that is also default for Microsoft ICS. They must allow manual choice of such a thing.

Thanks a lot.
    AJ

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice