1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop WiFi or Router Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NathanVW, Nov 13, 2019.

1. NathanVW

NathanVW Thread Starter

Since the summer, I've had incredibly bad and inconsistent WiFi speeds on my brand new laptop at my home network. My upload speed on this device is normal with other devices on my network, but my download speeds are normally very much slower or inconsistent. I'll check the speed one time and it will show 11 Mbps, then again a few seconds later and it will hover around .5-.1 if the test can be done at all and not be stopped due to internet connection issues but it sometimes slowly creeps up to higher speeds, but not really to where I would expect it for normal functioning (other devices get above 16 Mbps). The service I used to check speeds is the Measurement-Lab provided by google (first result for “internet speed test”). My computer remains connected to the network as far as I can tell (the bars never go away and I don't get a notification), it just seems like nothing gets through sometimes. This causes certain web pages to take forever to load, if at all, and online gaming is a pain due to excessively long loading screens (often resulting in timing out) and sometimes inability to log into my account or reach the server.

Originally, I thought the issue was with the WiFi card driver as I had seen discussed by other users of this model. Changing/rolling back the driver would normally fix the issue, albeit for a limited time before the same issues would come back a few minutes later. I then decided to switch out the stock WiFi card for a different one and from what I understood a better card to see if this would solve the issue. It did fix it for about a weekends' time, but the same issue came back (yes, I'm pretty sure I downloaded the correct drivers off of the manufacturer’s website for the WiFi card).

These issues happen on my locked home WiFi and the open xfinitywifi through the same router, but not any other router that I’ve come across, though I normally only use this device on one other WiFi network for a limited time-frame. I now suspect its the router itself, but I find it weird that the issues are only isolated to my laptop.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this issue would be immensely appreciated.

The device is a Lenovo Legion Y7000P-1060, the stock WiFi card was a Realtek RTL8822BE and the new card is an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (driver version 21.30.3.2)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10

Processor Count: 12

RAM: 16257 Mb

Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (56 GB Free); D: 931 GB (928 GB Free);

Motherboard: LENOVO, LNVNB161216

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice